Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Measuring the distance of the 3 miler!

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MisterP, Feb 28, 2008.

1. MisterP

MisterP New Member

Can I just ask how people are measuring their runs?

The reason I want to know is that I've just noticed a massive discrepancy in the length of my run depending on how I measure it. I had measured it using the measuring tool with Google earth, and was happy with that; but I've just been out on my bike and my bike speedometer says I've completed 1.5miles 160metres before google earth says I have. This could be a difference of maybe 30 to 40 seconds over the 1.5mile best effort back!!

(i've checked my bike speedometer's calibration, which is set to 2099 for the 26*2.0 measurement on the tyre. But i suspect this may still be wrong).

Does anyone know how accurate google earth is and/or of a more accurate way to calibrate a bike speedometer????

Ps. i've now tried measuring 2 different 400metre running tracks using google earth and i was only 2m and 1.5m out with each - which is making me think that google earth is pretty accurate.

2. smithy85

smithy85 New Member

Hello MisterP, try using www.mapmyrun.com thats a pretty accurate way of sorting out your problem i think. hope it helps. Smithy.

3. ZZ

ZZ New Member

yeah i use google map to and find its pretty accurate. i just get my mum to drive my route in her car and it seems to come up near enough the same. but dont forget 0.1 of a mile is a fair distance so on google you would have to move the little flag thingy until it just gets onto 1.5 or something. because i always woundered why my 1 mile was pretty slow when i used to just run that and its because i was nearing on like 1.1 in just another hundred, dsoesn't make too much difference really though

4. Azza01

Azza01 New Member

Map my run website is great ive used it religously for measuring the runs i do, Ive measured it against the car and its only slightly different...

5. ZZ

ZZ New Member

*text deleted* I'm really confused now, i was running a route i planned on google and it was 1.5 then i planed it on that mapmyrun.com and its only 1.4 i dont know which to trust

6. ZZ

ZZ New Member

ahhh and i just checked my 3 miler and its only 2.8 according to mapmyrun

- Edit: i official hate mapmyrun, its saying my google planned runs are either 0.1 or 0.2 miles out on each

7. MisterP

MisterP New Member

Be careful ZZ, 0.1 of a mile is 161 metres, which is very easily the difference between a pass and a fail.

Also ZZ, I don't know about you, but on my google earth i can measure (supposedly) to less than a metre. On the measuring thingy, click on the drop down menu and select metres instead of miles. (1609.3m per mile, 2414m in 1.5 miles)

8. Azza01

Azza01 New Member

Probably a good idea to match it in the car if your unsure, also if your unsure just run a few hundred meteres more and even if its more and you still pass it time wise you'll be fine...

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Best bet, logically is ensure your run reads the full required distance on whichever software indicates it's the shortest distance.

Whilst you need to run 2.4Km/1.5 miles for the PJFT, you should be increasing your distances to 3 miles for PRMC, pushing the distance out to around 5 miles at least once per week in the month leading-up to taking your PRMC for the best chance of passing according to "those that know".