Mechanical Comprehension

rob-marine

Reaction score
I've got my psychometric test in a week and a half. Seem to be doing fine on the reasoning, verbal and numeracy sections but I'm having some trouble on mechanical comprehension.

Any hints/tips/links?

Echus

Reaction score
Just as a general question, how important is mechanical comprehension anyway?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The Recruiting Test used has remained largely unchanged since 1943 and funnily enough, the amount of people passing has remained unchanged over the last 60 years, unlike other examinations. Generally the people that score best in Mechanical Comprehension tend to be males aged 25+.

There are example psychometric tests in the Stickies Section and the Fire Service test should be particularly useful to you.

The reasoning, literacy & maths sections on their own do not give a full appraisal of the individuals intellectual capacity to complete Recruit Training. There is no pass/fail mark in this section but it enhances your overall score. There is a direct correlation between low Mechanical Comprehension scores and low (below 10.5) bleep test scoring which has categorically identified that low scores in both indicate a less than 12% likelihood of completing Recruit Training. It isn't a selection pass fail criteria, just an indicator. In short: If you aren't good at mechanical comprehension then you need to be excellent in the bleep test to have a realistic chance of passing training.

Best of luck.

Echus

Reaction score
Whoa. That's quite interesting...

Any guesses as to why that might be the case?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's pure speculation on my part, so definitely not in any way the 100% assured genuine reason, but I'm guessing there are mechanical aspects to weapons cleaning, handling & maintenance, likewise accurate map-reading skills -if you are not good at map reading, you can expect to cover a lot more ground before you reach your RV etc.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Like you I was finding the Mechanical Comprehension practice questions more tricky than the others, but the questions on the actual paper were much more straight forward.