Medical Appeal - Failed

Janner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I have finally heard back about my medical appeal.

I was appealing on the hearing test that I failed but in the end they failed my appeal on the results of my peak flow (despite me never having had asthma), the range of readings was larger than the 15% so I am PMU.

Absolutely gutted, but I suppose everything happens for a reason.

Now I presumed that this meant I was out for life and had begun to accept this, though now after speaking to a family member who is a training Cpl at CTC he reckons I should be able to reapply in a few years time.

Is there any truth in this?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Assuming you reached the required standard on the hearing test but failed to reach an adequate peak flow reading as a one-off test at the medical, I'd guess the only way to pass a later application would be by keeping a medically supervised & monitored peak flow diary. If unsure, write to the medical examiner via your AFCO to request clarification.

It's unusual for someone to fail a peak flow on a one-off test & I've not come across a candidate undergoing a peak flow diary if they were never prescribed an inhaler.

Janner

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
According to my CA I was fine on all other aspects of my appeal but failed the peak flow diary. The reason I was given a peak flow diary was because I thought I had been given an inhaler due to a chest infection, but when I went to see my GP in order to collect my evidence there was no record of asthma or a prescribed inhaler but obviously I had already produced and submitted a peak flow diary. Annoyed because had my mother not told me I had been given an inhaler I would have been fine!

fremyjay

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that mate, im currently in limbo with my application as *text deleted** been told as i was precribed an inhaler for the same reason as you have stated that i may be passed medically unfit, but in my case i never picked up the prescription which hopefully will go my way, could you give me any info that may be helpful, thanks