Medical Appeal

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by northmonkeySW, Aug 12, 2017.

1. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi, I've received a letter from a senior medical officer saying I'm medically unfit under sections 4-N-3, 11, which covers those who have had cancers in the past. The basic part is in relation to me agreeing to attend a voluntary annual cancer talk with a doctor - which is on my notes as 'follow up' (consultant has stated it is not a true follow up and therefore should not discount me), and an incorrect comment added to my record 4 years ago which says there was a chance that potential issues could still show up (basically the issues would have shown themselves in the 3 years following end of treatment).

I am now over 6 years clear of finishing my last bit of treatment, have had all the necessary scans to check for issues and everything is all in fine working order. My consultant has stated they would be more than happy to write a letter clarifying these things, and explaining this fully, and can also attach the latest relevant scans as proof.

Is my best course of action therefore to contact my AFCO, gather the relevant information from medical professionals, and attach a facts based cover letter?

Apologies if these seems somewhat basic, but any clarification from the expertise available on these forums is always appreciated!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

It is worth a shot but as you are aware, the service is quite risk averse with most types of cancer.

Just follow the advice on this thread: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads...solving-unnecessary-delays.52248/#post-370318

Ensure you enclose all relevant evidence in a sealed envelope marked "protect medical" with your name and date of birth on the outside. This should be placed in a second envelope addressed to your afco, with your covering letter stating you wish to appeal the decision regarding your medical suitability for service and enclose the supporting evidence.

Best of luck.

3. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Ninja_Stoker Many thanks for your reply, I am indeed aware of the risk averse nature of the service towards cancer in general, but have reassurances from my consultant and the other medical professionals I've spoken to that none of the past medical history should present a problem in the future - am I right in assuming that this is the sort of evidence the medical officers are looking for?

Thank you for your advice, it's very much appreciated and ill be sure to update at the soonest opportunity.