Medical Examination- What's involved?

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Updated October 2016

The medical examination is not booked until you have returned the fully completed optician report form and the medical questionnaire to your AFCO. They are then forwarded to the contracted company. The Triage Nurse will then email to advise they will contact you by telephone between set times on a given day.

The Triage Nurse will discuss the content of your medical questionnaire and your medical history. If needs be, they will write to your GP to check technical details. Once your GP responds or if no further details are required, the appointment will be booked.

Timescales; Triage Nurse should call you.in around two to four weeks, but some areas currently take nearer six to eight weeks. Once they are ready to book the medical, it's usually a further 4 to 6 weeks away.

Read the letter carefully - don't get caught out: Make sure, you avoid loud noise up to 48 hours beforehand, be aware you have to strip to your underwear (don't "Go Commando" just yet), have a good wash beforehand, if you ticked "yes" on the medical questionnaire, be aware you can avoid a lot of delays is you bring copies of your medical notes relating to the issue - be aware this includes fractures, even if they were years ago.

The medical involves:
    A Hearing Test (avoid loud noise for 48 hours before)
    A survey of your ear-drums (make sure your ears are free from excessive wax)
    Blood pressure test (avoid caffeine based drinks, including energy drinks for at least 24 hours before)
    Urine sample/test (avoid protein drinks for at least 24 hours before)

Beighton Test for hyper-mobility http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/medical-standards-for-entry.55274/
    Reflexes
    Peak Flow Test
    A brief survey of your musculo-skeletal condition
    Colour perception Test - Ishihara coloured dots (Minimum standard CP4)
    Optician Report Form checked (Minimum standard VA3)

A check to ensure you can independetly close your left eye (It's so you can shoot right-handed)
    Hernia check (lower abdomen)
    Weight is measured (minimum 65Kgs)
    Height is measured (minimum 151.5 cms)

BMI checked (ideal Max 25, exceptionally, for muscularly-built individuals: 28)
    Medical questionnaire is scrutinised and a brief discussion regarding your previous medical history.

The medical lasts about 20 minutes - avoid selective hearing. If the Doc says "You've passed everything except..." you haven't passed yet make sure you get the outstanding issues resolved

Once you have passed the medical examination, the medical examiner posts the medical documents back to your AFCO. Upon receipt, your AFCO will either email or post your PJFT letter - this must be booked and taken within two weeks upon receipt of the letter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

A common theme at present is applicants being made temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) whilst the AFCO Medical Examiner writes to your GP for further details regarding a fracture the individual may have had years ago or a condition (besides astma) they listed but didn't take copies of relevant medical notes to the Medical examination, as advised in the appointment letter. It can add weeks or months to your application - plan ahead!

For all other issues besides a history of asthma, it's worth it but as you don't know the precise questions on the asthma questionnaire or which method of measurement is used on the peak flow diary, you stand the risk of duplicating your efforts & it is best accepting the fact there will be a 4 week delay for Peak Flow & for your GP to complete an asthma questionnaire.

The other ridiculous thing people are being made TMU for is being unable to close their left eye whilst keeping the right open (The Wink Test). If you cannot independently close your left eye, you cannot be passed fit as it means you're unable to shoot with a scope - practice it before your medical.

3. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Quick question - does the medical expire? i.e. do I have to pass my PJFT within a certain timeframe? Joining reserves if that helps.

4. Ninja_Stoker

The medical needs to be be retaken if you withdraw your application for over 12 months or your medical status changes through illness, injury, etc.

The PJFT must be taken within 28 days of being passed fit and receiving the PJFT letter.

5. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks N_S.

My medical is on the 26th March while my potential PJFT is while I'm out of the country running a marathon!

Would it be possible to travel to another detachment to undertake it?

6. Ninja_Stoker

Why not ask if you can book your PJFT on the same day as you pass your medical? You don't have to wait 28 days to take it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Ah, I see. Thanks NS. Will do!

8. Ludo

Ludo New Member

What is the dress code for the Medical? Smart or smart casual or sports kit?

It does not mention anything on my letter.

Thanks

9. Ninja_Stoker

Smartly pressed underpants with a service history of just the one careful owner.

Other than that, it doesn't really matter, clean & casual is fine.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ludo

Ludo New Member

Thanks ninja.
    had medical today and all passed. The doctor was somewhat concerned about my flexibility. Describing me as hypermobile. Which basically means I am double jointed in places such as the wrists and fingers. He went on to say this puts me at a higher risk as injury from a sprain or something would take longer. I never knew this and it is not something I have ever "ttrained or practiced" but I came in on his scoring criteria so bobs ya uncle! Next step pjft :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, sounds like you were borderline on the Beighton Test, but within acceptable parameters. Good luck.

12. Ben2695

Ben2695 New Member

@Ninja_Stoker I had a medical befor I withdrew my app and was tmu because of an operation I had 2 years ago my fault really as I only brought a note from my doctor when I have another medical if I take all my notes is it likely I'll still get tmu'd but it'll speed it up or do the look through the notes and tell you their and then ?

13. Ninja_Stoker

A note from your GP is not going to help things unless it is accompanied by the full medical records surrounding the condition, the precise surgical procedures and the outcome. For example a letter stating "he had x,y,z but is fine now", will not suffice.

14. Ben2695

Ben2695 New Member

Oh I know because I was stupid last time I was just wondering when I take the notes next time will he go through them on the day and give me a decsion or does it just speed up the tmu ?

15. Ben2695

Ben2695 New Member

Oh I know because I was stupid last time I was just wondering when I take the notes next time will he go through them on the day and give me a decsion or does it just speed up the tmu ?

16. Ninja_Stoker

Hopefully, as long as it's not a particularly complex issue, the Doc should be able tyo make the call on the day.

17. Ben2695

Ben2695 New Member

Great news thanks for the quick reply !

18. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

Hi, I broke my wrist in 2005 so got my medical records to bring along to my medical in march. My medical records simply state that i fractured my radius. Do i need to book an appointment with my GP and get him to write a note saying that it will not be or problem ? As the medical records alone seem pretty useless ? Thanks

19. Ninja_Stoker

The medical records needed usually include the precise location of the break(s), the full treatment detail and the full rehabilitation record, including any surgery, medication, physio etc.

A letter from your GP saying "Everything is OK" is of no use unfortunately - as ever, the devil is in the detail.

20. Gunners56

Gunners56 New Member

Hi, I have a few screws in my shoulder due to an operation, would this cause me to fail the medical? The doctor who operated says it shouldn't as I had a stabalizaion op