Medical Examination- What's involved?

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Hi & welcome.
    It's good to hear the screws were inserted due to a medical procedure rather than a random act of wanton recklessness

That said, ultimately the final decision with regard medical suitability for service in the Royal Marines will revolve around the specific reason for the stabilisation - presumably due to repeat dislocations? If so it will depend on the specific history and the implications of the surgical procedure with regard mobility & future potential for the requirement for further treatment arising during the rigours of Royal Rarines Recruit Training (RT).

In short - providing you are fully able to undertake all elements of arguably the most physically demanding combat infantry training in NATO:
    • Without hinderance or limitation
    • No more likely than any other potential recruit to suffer repeat recurrance of the injury requiring surgery
    • Not likelly to be initiating litigation for incurring injuries related to the known, declared pre-existing problem by retrospectively claiming you were negilgently permitted to join
    • Are at least twelve months clear of surgery
    • The nuts & bolts do not need removing...then you maybe in with a chance.
    Otherwise:
    • You're having a giraffe.
    • Best of luck.:D

2. Gunners56

Gunners56 New Member

Thank you for the response. I believe I can answer all of the above points for you.
    • I have full range of movement with no hinderance
    • The op was in October 2013 so am over 12 months clear, also the screws do not need removing (I do believe that my op didn't require the use of any nuts or bolts)
    • Have been back playing rugby at a semi-professional standard with no problems or sign of shoulder injury.
    • Finally the reason for choosing this op instead of key hole is that, key hole isn't a very effective operation (I think it has around a 90% chance of failure compared with a 2/3% fail rate for mine)
    Also just spoke briefly to a friend who is a GP and he says he would be surprised as the op means my shoulder has more stability than a normal one. Thoughts?

3. Ninja_Stoker

As stated, you may well be in with a chance - ultimately, the decision rests with the AFCO medical examiner.

Good luck.

4. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

I have the more detailed records now, thanks for the help ! One more question; the medical appointment letter says i need to bring the medical questionnaire, i assume this is wrong and my afco will forward it to the medical examiner for me ?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming you have already returned your Medical Questionnaire & Optician Report Form, your AFCO forwards them to the medical centre.

6. LD96

LD96 Member

I need to send me Medical and eye test forms back to my careers adviser to book a medical, my question is do i send GP notes away with medical form or take them to my medical?

also, as it isnt on the medical form, i done something to my calf about 2 years ago (completely fine now) i saw my GP who reffered me to the hospital to receive physio, there is nothing on the medical form about stuff like that so do i need a GP note to explain whaqt had happened or not?

7. Hodgy

Hodgy New Member

I had a few injuries when i was younger, one of which was borderline a fracture but treated as a bad sprain. The injuries i sustained were either treated in a&e or by private physios. I declared these on my medical, but there's no documentation from doctors that i know of. How do I go from here?

Declaring them probably wasn't the best idea in this case I think.

8. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No great advice here. But yes, declaring them was the best idea. If you get delayed then your unlucky like most of us. If you lie and pass, then your a fool and will get found out later down the line with no hope of returning. You done the right thing.

Honesty and integrity right

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    In agreement with Rob20 here, as it stands no one that I know of on this forum is qualified to make decisions about medical suitability for RT, and whilst someone may think that something doesn't cause them an issue, 8 months of the rigors of training are a whole different story.

It is also worth noting, if you rock up to RT with a pre existing undeclared condition and it is exacerbated by training, the corps, is not under an obligation to assist you to return to fitness, as to put it bluntly, your application was fraudulent, and you will likely, as I understand it, find yourself out on your ear with no hope of returning to CTC.

Always the best policy to be open and honest.

Just to look at it from another point of view, if you go down there with a previous injury, and it is made worse by training and you are dropped, you may also find that you have developed a more serious injury which could lead to limitations in a civilian career.

Geek

10. The Joke

The Joke New Member

Hi there,

I have a few questions. First one being how tough are they on acne? I am taking treatment for it but by the sounds of it that'll result in a fail if I take my medical any time soon?
    Secondly, I also have shin splints, how tough are they on that?
    Lastly, how long is the period of time the Navy will wait for me to schedule my medical? And after the medical, how long will they wait for me to schedule my gym test?
    Thanks.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Welcome to the site.

If you are taking prescribed medication for acne you'll need to be a couple of moths free from finishing the course of medication usually, before you can be passed fit to enter.

Chronic shin splints can be a bar to entry, depending on severity. Be aware prescribed orthotic insoles are also a bar to entry over the counter insoles such as sorbathane are recommended. Either way - you need to be fully clear of the condition because even if you pass PRMC you'll be discharged if you get shin-splints in the first 56 days of recruit training and have a previous recorded medical history of the problem.

After passing the recruit test and interview we usually allow about 4 weeks for applicants to book & take the eyestest and return the completed forms. likewise, after passing the medical, you have 28 days to take the PJFT - if you are not ready - call your AFCO now and defer your application until you are ready.

12. PJS80

PJS80 Member

Sorry if this is a daft question but do you find out whether you have passed your medical on the day or is it relayed via your AFCO ? Thanks in advance

13. Wezza

Wezza Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    You find out on the day from the doc. He will then send your afco an email or whatever to just confirm the pass/fail. From that day of the email you'll afco will email you the forms for the PJFT, you then have 28 days to complete your PJFT.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Joke

The Joke New Member

It's been way over four weeks for my interview, but when I did my interview the officer I did it with said that metaphorically I could wait over 3 months or so because I had to increase my weight, and no one has been in contact with me. Should I ring the office up to check if my application has been denied?

15. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I had my medical wednesday and was told by the doctor that everything was alright. He said he'd get everything sent of electronically to my AFCO, I'm still awaiting an email, how long does it take?

16. Wezza

Wezza Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Usually a day, but heard someone on here who said it took theirs about 4 days. If nothing after 4 days give your AFCO a ring.

17. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

I got a letter through the post with the relevant paperwork instead of an email. If this is the case with you it should come early next week.

18. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Wezza @CSVern cheers guys, i'll give it untill mid next week then.

19. Lion

Lion New Member

Someone please help I haven't had asthma for 10 years my doctor said but I just got this wheeze and cough etc last 4 days( this ain't asthma *text deleted*) but he wants to give my an inhaler as the way to get rid of it. But would that mean i have to wait the 4 years to apply then? I literally applied the day before it happened as well :(

20. ERFC

ERFC Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I believe so, but I'm not medical officer so it's up to you to make the decision. How bad is the wheezing and if you can tell him why you don't want one prescribed and then he will either tell you to take it or find an alternative.