Medical Examination- What's involved?

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Lion

Lion New Member

There are steroids and tablets but there for when it is really serious if I believe, the wheezing has died down a little bit, I said to him I'll just leave it a couple of days to see if it just goes away so I guess I just *text deleted* hope it goes away by the end of this week hopefully, but if it doesn't then I don't know what I'm going to do

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

If you are prescribed an inhaler and have asthma symptoms (wheeze) then the same rules apply.

If anyone is suffering from breathing difficulties, it is an issue that needs addressing. If it wasn't serious, the individual would not need to see a GP & the GP would not feel it necessary to prescribe the treatment. Common sense applies - asthma is a life threatening condition.

3. Lion

Lion New Member

Looks like I'm kinda screwed then if it doesn't go away:(

4. Lion

Lion New Member

Just to be clear that my wheezing means I have to do the 4 yr wait? Even if I don't use an inhaler right?

5. ERFC

ERFC Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No I believe only if you are prescribed an inhaler will you have to wait.

6. Lion

Lion New Member

I'm not sure if that is a fact or not

7. Harris_mcl

Harris_mcl Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I found out last week after 3 months of being tmu that my GP hadn't received anything regarding to my medical, here I am over 3 and a half months later and still nothing. Got a few calls from my AFCO asking me if I've heard anything and I'm still here waiting. Oh and don't drink a lot an hour before hand, my medical lasted 40 minutes and he left the urine sample till last

8. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

Can I ask what will happen after the 56 days??

9. Ninja_Stoker

If it's not a pre-existing condition but a fresh injury attributed directly to training after 56 days, you will, subject to your training record & odds of likely recovery, be placed in Hunter Company for rehabilitation, when possible.

10. VPMTRMC

VPMTRMC Member

Hi

I have one son already in the RM's

Have asked him about the question I am about to ask but he was "erm dunno" so helpful hmmmm

I have a stepson who is eager to join but he has had several issues with his ears he is 80% deaf in one ear and is still under a consultant

He has asked me my views and I wasn't sure but did think this would probably put a halt to joining?

He has started proceedings and is waiting to hear back so he is a long long way off anything yet

Just wondered if anyone had tried or has joined with ear problems?

Thanks in advance

11. Ninja_Stoker

The following may help give a realistic appraisal:

You should wait for the AFCO medical examiner to give specific advice regarding the standard required. RM Aircrew & Landing Craft have a higher hearing standard than all other RM branches.

Best of luck to him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VPMTRMC

VPMTRMC Member

13. VPMTRMC

VPMTRMC Member

My son had to wait to be four years free of an inhaler before they would even consider a full medical then he had to do the peak flow meter test for a month

Over all he had to wait 2 years as applied 2 years after being issued an inhaler

He is now a RM if your determined you will do it

Good luck to you

14. bundaz

bundaz New Member

Hi guys I've got a medical coming up however I've got a lump below my tail bone called a primordial cyst does anyone know if this will cause me too fail. It doesn't affect my sit ups or anything I just gets itchy, can't find any info about it

15. VPMTRMC

VPMTRMC Member

@bundaz if you type it into google it tells you all about it

16. WhoDaFkIsReggie

WhoDaFkIsReggie New Member

@Ninja_Stoker if your medical expires after 1 year and you need another medical does this also mean you have to retake the eyetest and psychometric test?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Eyetest yes, Recruit Test no, Davs.

18. Armstrong96

Armstrong96 New Member

I had my eye test today for RMR and all went well, i got VA1. Until the optician told me i have snail track degeneration in my right eye but has no effect whatsoever on my vision. She said that it was no big issue especially in normal circumstances but had to put it on the sheet to inform RM. It is classed as an eye disease but it js not an example on the medical list and the eye diseases on the medical requiremenets are ones that have a direct impact of vision. Would she have told me if i wasnt incompatible to join? And if anyone knows, am i incompatible to join? RM has been a lifelong dream and to end over something like that would be devistating.
    Cheers.

19. Ninja_Stoker

I honestly couldn't say on this one. Best bet? Contact one of the Occupational Health experts on Navy Net - nemesis1066 is a good bet: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/members/nemesis1066.18462/

Good luck

20. jonood

jonood Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    just wandering what happens in the medical fully, been through it before but forgot what happened as it was years ago before rt! Would preferably like to know from people who have been through it recently !