Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical Examination- What's involved?

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks. Do you reckon that perscription medication to treat would put me in a spot in my medical or is that run of the mill and good to go?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pumba909

Pumba909 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I just had my medical today and passed everything except I had high blood pressure!! I couldn't believe it. The doctor says that its common to fail a test because of blood pressure because of the nerves you get about the test make you more anxious than usual. I now have to have 24 hr ECG monitor fitted at my GP to certify I don't suffer from high blood pressure. Any hints or tips about making sure this doesn't become a problem again. cheers

3. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Keloid scars on my toe are part of the reason for my pmu however this is because they are raised and she seemed to think they rub! (They never have rubbed)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Just been made TMU:( again, after 7 months! Snagged up on a medication I'm taking for acne, told me I was supposed to stop taking 3 months before a medical but I was never told that .. so I've been told to come back in 3 months so that is a frustrating but a minor issue in the grand scheme!

The main issue was on the Royal Navy medical and health questionare under the section 'have you had any time off work due to illness etc in the last 2 years'. I was very truthful in this questionare as I was very paranoid. I had pulled 2 sickies (not actually ill but phoned in with migraine) at work because I needed 2 days off on separate occasions and no holiday left to take. Unsure if they would check with my employer I put down the truth, that I had 2x migraine in the last 2 years. Turns out migraine is actually a bar, they now want me to go to a neurologist and confirm my symptoms are migraine .. I don't have symptoms and I don't get migraines! What do I do?
    @Ninja_Stoker can you advise please.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Just to clarify, TMU means your medical suitability for service has not been determined. Once it has been determined you are either Fit or PMU.

If PMU, it means you remain unfit for service for as long as the current circumstances exist. That could mean until a period has elapsed, symptom free or forever, depending on the condition.

For certain acne treatments, because the medication can have powerful mood-altering side effects, they insist you are free from the condition and the medication for three or more months.

As with many conditions, once a label is attached, the 'glue' is very difficult to remove if diagnosed by a health professional. If you decided it was migraine but it is not on the medical records held by your GP then it is quite easy to get your GP to confirm you were never diagnosed with migraine. If however you pulled a sickie and were diagnosed as having migraine by your GP, then unfortunately you reap what you sow and the onus is on you to produce the evidence you were misdiagnosed.

Basically, we can't have it both ways when it suits. Generally, for migraine, the individual needs to be symptom & treatment free for a couple of years before they can be passed fit to enter. I was knocked back myself for migraine many moons ago and the issue is that if you have a recurrent history, it is otherwise a bar to entry until you can prove it is not likely to happen again.

To reiterate: to circumvent the two year symptom-free period, if it is on your medical records the onus is upon the individual to produce the evidence it was misdiagnosed. Either that or wait two years.

6. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers for the speedy reply! On the letter from my GP it states I have never consulted my GP about a migraine ..
    How should I go about sorting this? Assume I should call up and come clean Monday.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You will need to appeal by simply asking your GP to write you a copy of that letter confirming you have never been diagnosed with migraine. Once you have that evidence, write a covering letter stating you would like your medical suitability for service reviewed by the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) as although you self-diagnosed migraine and declared it, you have never been diagnosed nor treated with prescription medication for the condition and just send it to your AFCO.

8. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for the advice. Just to confirm I haven't been made permanently unfit. The doc made me temporarily unfit until my review in 3 months after discontinuing use of meds and a visit with a neurologist. Is it not a case of call the doc on Monday and explain my case rather than appeal to my AFCO?

9. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I see. It was a bit strange, at the end after he went through everything and told me I was temp unfit I asked what was next and he said i would be invited back for review after 3 months. I asked if I would be having another complete medical at the time and he confirmed it would just be reviewing the 2 issues outstanding. From that I would take it that I have passed on everything else yet he didn't take my blood pressure or do a hearing test ..

Shall I call my AFCO and discuss this with them or try and contact the doctor?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It gets confusing but essentially there is insufficient info to pass you fit at this moment in time. Even doctors get it wrong with regard pmu/tmu.

If you were never diagnosed with migraine by a health professional, then it is difficult to determine why a neurologist is required to demonstrate your self-diagnosis was in fact incorrect. I'd be inclined to explain this to the medical examiner and produce a copy of the letter from your GP to reiterate it was self diagnosis when you next see him/her.

If the medical examiner does not accept that and you then receive a letter telling you that you are PMU due to migraine, then it would be worth writing a letter of appeal as described above, to be reviewed by the SEMC who can review the medical examiner's decision.

11. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers, that puts my mind at ease! Having said that, Capita hadn't forwarded on any of my information so maybe that is why he is a bit confused.
    I'll try to contact the doctor Monday and see what the outcome is!

12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

2 years ago I went to my GP for itchy ankles! He told me I had Excema and prescribed a large tube of Steroid cream, happy days. I had occasional flare ups, and in fairness the cream lasted well! Last week I went back to the Doc. Walked in and asked for some more cream for my "Excema" it was at the same practice, but a different Doctor.

She looked at my ankles and said "you don't have Excema, it's just dry skin"

However I've declared to my employer Ive got Excema and I'm restricted in what I can do, because we use a lot of cutting coolant! Which cause Excema!!

It's no big deal for me, but I can't help thinking that for young lads who go into see their GPs for say a tight chest or other minor ailment! And get prescribed something, and get labeled with a condition. It is seeming to have massive ramifications for lads applying to join the forces these days!!

A very difficult situation for everyone to handle, and I have great sympathy for those lads who are on the wrong end of a decision for a mistake made by their GP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Very true. Applied June 2016, had my interview and tests out the way by July and been waiting for a medical until today because of misdiagnosed heart murmur as a baby. Fortunately I haven't found motivation an issue during this time.

14. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I was diagnosed with Asthma as a child, and although I had the symptoms of it, and I did spent some time in hospital due to it, after a single course of steroids for my lungs, I lost all symptons and all need for it - I stopped using my inhaler around aged 8-9, which makes us think I never had Asthma, just a under-developed lung (which was weird considering I was always into sport), yet that diagonsis of Asthma still haunts me. Similar story with:
    • Eczema
    • Severs Disease
    • Osgood Schlatters
    • Appendicitis
    All of which were mis-diagnosis'es or the symptoms disappeared after a few months..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Owen91

Owen91 Royal Marines Commando

I couldn't close my left eye independently in my medical and luckily got away with it at the time ;)

I've never had a single problem with shooting

16. FRMCCK

FRMCCK Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I have had no illnesses (touch wood) or anything to hold me back from the medical stage but i do have one concern. I had an injury 5/6 years ago where i hit my face (face plant across the floor) and was unconcious for 30 seconds or so, i went to hospital and had an X-Ray and CT scan but nothing was broken of anything so i was dismissed and been fine ever since... Now do i even need to mention this in my questionnaire and medical or is it not necessary? Also sounds stupid but would i need to say about any colds or 'sick bugs' ??
    Thanks

17. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It's all explained in the questionnaire sheet, essentially it lists the conditions and you tick if you have ever had them.

Since you didn't break anything or get a concussion, you shouldn't need to mention it unless there's a box for unconsciousness which if I remember correctly there isn't, but even if you do put it down it won't affect your application.

It does ask for time off work/studies

• Like Like x 1
  18. FRMCCK

FRMCCK Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Okay cheers mate :)

19. ronic

ronic New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Anyone got a copy of the medical questionnaire so I can see what kind of questions is asked?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gregor1995

Gregor1995 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Ninja_Stoker will I be stitching myself up it I contact the medical examiner and tell him the truth about never actually having a migraine? Will I be digging myself a bigger hole?