Medical Examination

MonsterMo

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was just wondering how they assess you in terms of your musculoskeletal system? I recall Ninja saying that they do "A brief survey of your musculoskeletal condition", what does that exactly mean?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I recall Ninja saying that they do "A brief survey of your musculoskeletal condition", what does that exactly mean?

From memory (over forty years) one's posture and mobility is given a quick examination. I'd guess that the examination focuses on identifying any obvious spinal and limb abnormalities that were not previously recorded on one's medical records.

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a more current answer.

pch90

Reaction score
They will just have a feel of your shoulder, knee and ankle joints and move them around a bit. Other than that it is just a few pokes and prods down your spine and maybe ask you to do a few movements, nothing to worry about.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
They also conduct a Beighton Test for hypermobility, check for a full range of unrestricted movement in all major joints, reflexes and go through your medical records checking your musculo-skeletal history for issues such as recurrent back pain, dislocations, fractures, surgical procedures, etc.

B3n5lav

Reaction score
I had a minor fracture to my ankle in Sept 17, telephone triage says I am unfit until Sept 18 yet I was back playing rugby and in general was fit after 6 weeks anyway. I am going to appeal for RMR anyway by Doctor and indepentant physio. I know I am ok so all help appreciated.I want to inform my afco , how shod I address hi. ...Staff ? Or something similar thanks Ben

MonsterMo

Reaction score
I had a minor fracture to my ankle in Sept 17, telephone triage says I am unfit until Sept 18 yet I was back playing rugby and in general was fit after 6 weeks anyway. I am going to appeal for RMR anyway by Doctor and indepentant physio. I know I am ok so all help appreciated.I want to inform my afco , how shod I address hi. ...Staff ? Or something similar thanks Ben

From what I’ve read, you cannot appeal against anything that makes you illegible if you still are illegible ie still injured or within the required recovery time set by Navy standards etc. It clearly states in the Medical Eligibility Criteria document (link below) that any bone or joint injuries (such as breaks/fractures or anything that requires surgery) require 12 months of recovery after treatment before applying; you cannot appeal that. You can appeal if you have evidence negating the reason why you were failed, this is often proof in the form of a doctor’s note, copies of scans, list of treatments and recovery etc but in your case, you’ll have to wait the 12 months out and then reapply and appeal or whatever the procedure is (as I think that deadline for appeals is only 6 months). I believe that @Ninja123 will be the best person to answer your query as I may be wrong on this

Medical Eligibility Criteria document link: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf

B3n5lav

Reaction score
I had a biomechanical and physio assessment this evening all perfect and in order. Joint movement perfect , muscle ligament and tendon support all in order. Awaiting written report. Strength equal both legs.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I had a biomechanical and physio assessment this evening all perfect and in order. Joint movement perfect , muscle ligament and tendon support all in order. Awaiting written report. Strength equal both legs.

If I’m lead to believe, unfortunately you cannot appeal the predetermined medical standards. If it says 12 months then appealing will be completely pointless. They won’t even bother considering if you’re still within that timeframe. You could have climbed Everest from all four sides in a week however they have to cover themselves.

If you went passed fit for instance and then suffered an injury to that same leg whether it be related or not they’d have a lot of questions to answer for. You may have full movements etc however I do believe they give that 12 month window to ensure the bone has properly fused as well as repaired to the same strength if not stronger then before.

Do remember I’m not medically qualified however I’m just goin g on what I’ve seen numerous times in the past and the rules set out.

Unless you’re appealing against a misdiagnosis or error in treatment etc you’ll just be slowing down other applicants.

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
Dependent on the nature of the fracture the carte Blanche 12 months rehabilitation can be reduced to six months so always ask. All require a fitness diary. Always ask as I know an interarticular fracture is a bar to entry for the Army but not the the RN as like everything rules are open to interpretation and just like Royal our Medical Cell apply a refreshing amount of pragmatism to their interpretation. :)

B3n5lav

Reaction score
Its wasnt that bad compared to most, 6 weeks i was discharged, no surgery or ongoing treatment. Advised to jog when ready and then run as strength built up and I returned to full sport when confident. I made sure I gave it a good rest , then back to training , then back at full competative sport in Jan18.

Last edited:

B3n5lav

Reaction score
Im booked on an attest day in May...should I still go whilst this is going on. If anything it should prove level of fitness, my Dad said there is a waiver he has to sign anyay