Medical Examinations - Avoiding & Resolving unnecessary delays

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Contacted my GP and they are 100% sure the information was sent on the 28th of July

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

As long as the Practice Manager is certain they submitted the information requested, as stated, and not just an invoice for payment, then it is worth giving your careers adviser a call to request an update from the medical portal.

I'd not suggest the contracted company don't make errors, but your CA can check whether the information requested has been received of whether the surgery is waffling.

3. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Update: Have been passed P2 fit from Capita, my AFCO have not yet received a email confirming this so I am unable proceed to my PJFT until they do so. The frustration is real -banghead-

4. Ninja_Stoker

At least it is good news rather than bad. By the book, the AFCO cannot send the PJFT letter until they receive your med docs back to confirm your medical status. Sometimes people take a pragmatic approach and accept that 'P2' on the medical portal is a safe bet.

Nevertheless, you have two weeks to book, take and pass the PJFT upon receipt of the letter, so onward and upward - things are moving in your favour. Just don't fail the PJFT!

5. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    But if an update @Ninja_Stoker still nothing from my AFCO, phoned them there and they said they're waiting on a reply from Capita, when they phone them they can't get them to answer yet when I call them I get an answer after 5 minutes and they tell me they're waiting on a reply from my AFCO about my peak flow diary, any advice?

6. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How long are the medical exam results valid for? If my security/residency take longer than 12 months, will I need to go through the medical again before I start RT?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the medical now only lasts 12 months and must be retaken if you haven't commenced recruit training if 12 months have elapsed since the very first medical appointment you had.

In most cases, it should never take 12 months from medical to PJFT to PRMC to entry for Royal Marines...apart from residency issues or unexpectedly long resolution of a genuine TMU. Anyone claiming routine training injuries lasting longer is probably never going to make it into training.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jonbomber94

jonbomber94 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi there, Wondered if anyone can give me some information please.

I was TMU'd on my medical because I was ill the weeks prior and went down in weight to 64Kilos, they also said my blood pressure was very high (unsure why) so advised i followed up with my GP and because they needed my medical records as I broke my wrists as a child.

So do I now just make an appointment with my GP, ask him to send the relevant information to Capita? I spoke to my AFCO and he said the fee had been paid from Capita for my records and something about a 4 month wait?

I'm a tad confused on what to do next. I have made an appointment with my GP but I am unsure what I ask him to do?..AFCO said ring him after my appointment and let them know what happens but again, I don't know whats going to happen. Unless I am being stupid and missing some obvious information.

Thank-you

9. Ninja_Stoker

Firstly, no point going to a follow-up medical until 65+Kgs.

You could go to your GP surgery & ask the practice nurse to take your blood pressure. If high, explain what happened at the AFCO medical and, because you think it may just be 'white coat hypertension' (just nerves), ask if they will let you do a 24 hour monitoring BP test to prove one way or the other.

Whilst at your GP surgery, ask if they have provided the information about your wrists, as requested by Capita. If they have, fine - expect a couple of weeks wait before anything happens. Make sure your surgery have definitely sent the information about your wrists - very often all they do is submit an invoice for payment and need a prompt to produce the goods.

Good luck.

10. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    @Ninja_Stoker Do you know if there has been any changes with the medical standards in JSP950 as of lately?.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Which bit?

The whole shebang is updated on a rolling basis in each sub-section.

12. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hope all is well,

I was wondering how successful recruits tend to be if they have VA3 standard eyesight without corrective lenses? My eyes may have gone from VA2 last year to VA3 now. Thank you.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Marvelous, thanks.

Providing the individual can find their way to Lympstone & cows in the fields next to the rifle range don't start falling-over, a person with VA3 is as likely to pass out as a person with VA1.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  14. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you, that's good to know. I'll get my eyes checked out again to see for definite. In the meantime, no glasses unless they are needed ;)

15. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Hi there,

Is anyone else having trouble with Capita? I had a telephone report with them 4 months ago. I was put TMU but they don't seem to be able to tell me why or what I can do to speed up proceedings. They said they asked for information from my GP which they've now received but are waiting for the nurse to access it. Incredibly frustrating. Does anyone know how I could speed it up? Anxious to get going!

Thanks.

16. greenzRM

greenzRM Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah good luck with that one! I'm on the exact same position. Good luck trying to push them....

17. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

How long have you been TMU for mate? I call Capita and they're without fail 'experiencing high core volume'. Then when you get through to someone they don't have any information. -banghead-

18. greenzRM

greenzRM Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    i haven't actually been TMU yet, they've got my GP info and are currently waiting to assess it?
    All i know is this has been going on for months now and every time i ring up they say another week or so........ useless.

19. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Anything under Mood Affectice Disorders (F30-F39) or Adjustment Disorder (F43.2) to be precise.

20. Ninja_Stoker

The entire publication was re-issued in August, but whether those particular aspects have been revised, I'm not 100% as I don't know which ammendment you are working-off.

That particular section was last reviewed in October 2013.

PM inbound.

• Like Like x 1