Medical Examinations - Avoiding & Resolving unnecessary delays

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 31, 2012.

1. alrob

alrob New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I found in medical terms they dont check medical records but give you BP tests and the other usual stuff etc. I'd recommend discolosing everything though as if anything crops up in RT you'll be in trouble

2. ry07

ry07 Member

Thanks for the reply ninja, I'm already passed medically fit until November, but have injured my wrist which could need an operation, I'll find out on Wednesday. Hopefully wont be too much of a problem when it comes to a re-medical. Fingers crossed!

3. StanRM

StanRM Member

ASTHMA ADVISE

• If you have had asthma or an inhaler at any point in your life it will be something the medical team will want to look into.
    • You have to be 4 years clear of any prescription inhalers to be able to be loaded on to training or for your application to go any further than the medical. Even if it was just an inhaler as a kid or because of a chest infection it will be something which you have to be prepared that it might be an issue.
    • You will be asked to complete a 30 day peak flow diary and you will then have to return to see the Capita doctor who will re-review your notes as well as your peak flow diary to insure that you "no longer" have asthma.

My advise is, as it worked for me, if you are going to medical and its more than 30 days away then complete your own peak flow diary. This will speed the process along and mean that you don't have to attend two medicals. Trust me the least amount of times you have to deal with Capita the better. Even if you don't have your medical booked you can still do a diary in preparation.

You need to have a diary with one peak flow entry in the morning and one in the evening and you need to do it for 30 days.

You can buy a peak flow meter online for about £10, which is worth it if you don't want your application to take an extra 2 or 3 months. The look like the photo attached.

You must be honest with yourself when filling out the diary, the aim is that your breath difference from your lowest score and highest score is no more than 15%.

If you are ill with flu or a cold during the time you are doing your diary make sure you DO NOT enter those values because they will be highly likely to be outside of the required 15%.

VERY IMPORTANT: when you go to the medical take the diary and the peak flow meter with you so the doctor can see that you have been using the correct type.

Getting a reading on the meter is simple, just take a deep breath and blow as hard as you can in to the meter. Do it 3 times and take the average reading.

Well worth doing the above if you want your medical and application to flow smoothly and reduce time wasting.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jungle23

Jungle23 New Member

Just wondering about the medical waiting time, I have had a phone call from the nurse and everything went fine however I haven't herd anything back for two weeks just wondering how long it usually takes ?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Depends on the area. Assuming the nurse didn't require you to obtain info and contact them to say you're ready, first - it's usually around four weeks-ish. Check emails - especially the junk or spam folder.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jungle23

Jungle23 New Member

Thanks!

7. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi guys, I ripped the ligament from the bone playing rugby back in February I had operation to reattach it, I'm back in the gym now and was going to re apply when properly back in shape. I read somewhere I cant apply till after the 12 months have passed, is that correct?

8. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

To add this was in my ankle!

9. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker sorry to be a pain, but could you give me some guidance on this before you close down today.

10. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Can anyone give me some guidance?? Sorry to go on.

11. Lewbomaximus

Lewbomaximus Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi mate, I'm sure Ninja will jump in at some point to give you the gen low down. In the meantime though, to answer your question, I believe the standard delay after surgery stands at 12 months, However each case gets looked at on an individual basis so don't quote me on that one it could be a shorter wait if everything is going well but it does sound like a nasty injury so I'd be more inclined to prepare yourself for the worst case scenario just in case!

I don't think the injury/surgery will stop you from applying, though it will more than likely grind your application to a halt when you reach your medical stage and I'd hazard a guess that you'd be declared Temporarily Medically Unfit until the 12 months (or time advised by your medical examiner) has lapsed.

How is your training going mate? maybe build your self up around the injury at a snails pace to the required standard and then go in to apply?

12. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

@Ni11ck as far as I know, after an operation such as yours it would be a 12 month minimum before you can be passed fit.
    Due to the nature and location of the injury it would be wise to get all the medical records you can pertaining to the injury and operation. Keeping a training log to show your recovery and subsequent improvements wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Guys thanks for the info, it happened in Feb this year and was operated on feb the 26th, I wont be looking at applying until around December/January anyway as I'll be back to full fitness by then and it will be much closer to the year date. @Lewbomaximus training is going well mate, lots of swimming, bike rides at the minute & core at the minute, so just getting the strength back through the ankle and around the ankle aswell. @CSVern I am seeing a physio once every two weeks, who is giving me a training programme on what I can and cant do, as the weeks move on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

It's one of those that can only be definitively advised by a service medical expert.

Any ligament reconstruction relating to lower limbs will be an issue, either in the short term or permanently, depending on the ligament in question and the extent of the damage.

Generally, the rough rule of thumb is 12 months clear of surgery, in the case of surgery itself, but again, the AFCO medical examiner calls the shots once in possession of the full details.

Best of luck.

15. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker Thanks for this, my surgeon cleaned up my ankle off all the old injuries that are in there so once I am fully fit he told me I will have a brand new ankle as long as i don't over do it. Would you recommend waiting till the xmas period before going to see someone as then it'll be 2 months and counting?

16. Ninja_Stoker

I'd be inclined to apply, get the Recruit Test and interview cracked, in the knowledge that there will be delays at the medical examination - but at least you'll hopefully have cracked the bits leading up to the medical and then know the circumstances that must be met to pass the medical and at what point.

17. Ni11ck

Ni11ck New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ok thanks, so what your saying is get the ball rolling as soon as possible? This forum is brilliant!

18. Ninja_Stoker

I would - the test is valid three years, the interview 12 months.

19. Sly3

Sly3 New Member

I've previously posted this but I have yet to get a response not trying to annoy any one at all but I'd like some advice Before this fantastic site is gone, I wanted to get some insight on rejoining. I got into recruit training on the 12th of January 2015 I got to week 22 and I'll be honest I was not at the right state of mind to begin with. I didn't have the best of starts on day one, I scraped through every test i was given, the fact I was still an original at that point was to be fair I had just sheer determination. But it wasn't enough. Coming to the end of bottom field pass out I swear I must have had the worst chest infection of my life couldn't breathe at all went to med bay they could not find a significant issue, they said I was medically fit and after it I just kept on struggling and with fear of being medically discharged I opted out, shoud not have left, I tried to join the army and was medically deffered to some unknown tachycardia problems that were on my GP records in marxh of 2015 i had not had this disclosed to me in training and to be honest i can see why it wasnt much of an issue. I'll be honest there really isn't anything wrong with me my ECG which I had 4 months ago, picks up a slight abnormality but other than that I'm still waiting to see a cardiologist after 5 months i have stressed how important it is to the GP and ive been refered twice, i'd love to have some advice as I'm being seen right off by the gp at the moment.

20. Ninja_Stoker

Are you in the process of joining the Army @Sly3? If so we can only give best guess advice based on the tri-service medical standards for entry.

The delay appears to be with your civilian cardiologist appointment and I'm guessing your GP doesn't view an 'employment medical' examination as priority in relation to a more serious heart murmur that could give rise to a life-threatening condition.

All you can do, I guess, is ask what the waiting time is, to manage your expectations or possibly consider going private.

Either way, best of luck.