Medical Examinations - Avoiding & Resolving unnecessary delays

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Sly3

Sly3 New Member

I am not currently I the process of joining the army, they canceled my application after the medical enquiry. But I've had more time to consider the Royal marines after my 12 month cool down period. I would like to go back, I have stressed to the doctor it's holding up my application even though I have yet to apply because I'd be told to go see the gp anyway by the careers centre. I wish I could go private but I doubt I could pay the fees. It's more than likely a heart murmur I have had no heart conditions or issues in all my life, it's probably down to what they call white coat syndrome, pretty much being scared shite less of the prospects of a doctor telling you bad news.

2. Jungle23

Jungle23 New Member

I passed my medical last Monday with no problems but I had shin splints leading up to it and I knew I had a PJFT coming up so tried to up the treadmill training, however I have injured my right foot. I'm unsure of what to say to my Afco as I don't want to give off any bad impressions? Any advice would help thanks

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Just give your AFCO a call & let them know you've picked-up an injury and need to either defer your pjft or temporarily withdraw your application until fit to proceed.

As long as you are upfront & honest there's seldom an issue.

4. Jungle23

Jungle23 New Member

Thanks gave them a ring and all sorterd !

• Like Like x 1
  5. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi,

Picking up from the hayfever discussion earlier on, I suffer very infrequently with hayfever during the summer months, and whenever I do get a quick bout, it is basically just sneezing a bit, no rashes, no asthma, no lasting effects. I've never been prescribed any antihistamines and never had an inhaler, and it seems ridiculous that it might slow my medical down...considering it doesn't affect me every day, and I don't even take shop-bought antihistamines for it, is it worth disclosing on the medical questionnaire? Or maybe disclosing with a note with all of the above? Thanks for the advice

6. Ninja_Stoker

Hayfever, perhaps understandably, is a significant issue in an occupation which involves serving predominantly outdoors, literally in the field.

It would be unwise in the extreme not to declare it, particularly if it could affect your ability to function at 100% without any medication (over the counter or otherwise) particularly if it was subsequently discovered your GP records show that you have previously suffered from hayfever.

A short note from your GP to confirm you have either no record of hayfever or that you have not recently needed prescription medication for the condition should satisfy the medical examiner & avoid any unnecessary delays.

Interestingly, it is not an issue for the Navy as we don't get hayfever at sea. Likewise the best cure for seasickness? Sit under a tree :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Cheers ninja! Fingers crossed I shouldn't have any issues, very melodramatic to state that I even 'suffer' from it.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

As Ninja suggests, your consulting cardiologist will have a workload that includes people with life limiting conditions. It is likely that the clinical needs of others will outweigh your convenience; not an unreasonable circumstance.

One suggestion: A big part of consulting physician's diaries and workload are often managed by their secretarial assistant. If you can acquire this person's contact details and apply an appropriate amount of polite charm you might be able to bump your case towards the top of the pile.

Expectation management warning: There are no guarantees that the approach will work. Success is dependent on the clinical needs of others and on how much polite charm you can deploy. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    So I've just had an email through from capita following my phone call yesterday morning with a triage nurse, and I've been made TMU whilst they get information from my GP/orthodontist about a fractured wrist 10 years ago, minor hayfever which hasn't been medicated and a couple of dental operations prior to me having braces. Is anyone going through the same pain in the *text deleted* stage at the moment? And do we know how long it takes, or is that entirely dependent upon how quickly the GP gets the information back to them? I rang my GP shortly after receiving the email and apparently they didn't have a copy of it just yet. I just want to bloody get on with it all

10. Ninja_Stoker

As described in post#1, nothing is going to happen until the information requested is provided unfortunately.

The tip is to keep checking with your GP surgery & orthodontist to confirm the requested information is provided. The request from Capita usually takes a week to ten days to arrive at the GP surgery, so no point chasing it for ten days.

11. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Cheers ninja, rapid responses as ever

12. Durxza

Durxza Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Ninja_Stoker

Just to clarify, if, to the best of your knowledge, prior to the medical with Capita, you're not aware of anything that would prevent your medical from being a pass, do you need to take anything with you other than photo ID to the medical?

Furthermore, what is their policy on an ingrown toenail? I've heard they're incredibly thorough, but I am a long distance runner and it has never hindered me so I would be livid if they failed me for that.

Cheers in advance!

13. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Would anyone have a number for Capita? My GP sent my asthma questionnaire back over a month and a half ago and my AFCO still haven't received anything

14. Durxza

Durxza Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi mate - 03450341437

:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers! Thanks so much, I couldn't find this number anywhere

• Like Like x 1
  16. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Anyone who had their GP send of an asthma questionnaire how long did you have to wait to hear back from Capita? My GP sent mine off on the 28th of July and still haven't heard anything, my AFCO or Capita are telling me different things

17. CSVern

CSVern Active Member

My GP surgery had "just sent it back" three times, each a couple of weeks apart when I went through that rigmarole. I explained this to my AFCO and they called them themselves. Must have had some choice words for them as the paperwork turned up a week later.
    If it's been 7 weeks since they were sent it's either lost in the post and will need doing again, or they were fibbing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Nine times out of ten it's the GP surgery that hasn't responded rather than a failing on Captita's part.

Speak to the practice manager, not the person who answers the phone. Ask them to confirm they've received the asthma questionnaire and ask when it was received. Next question? Have you sent the information required of have you only sent an invoice? Final question - can you please confirm to me personally when you have dispatched the requested information?

19. ADonis

ADonis Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers guys! Will do this first thing in the morning

20. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it's worth exhausting all avenues because Capita will only ask your GP three times and if they do not receive the information required to make a medical decision at the third asking, that's it, you are declared PMU.