Medical help

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by robbo2270, May 19, 2017 at 1:00 AM.

1. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm in the process of getting a copy of my medical records to take to the AFCO and try to find out if anything on there so far is a bar to entry.

In the mean time, both my big toes are infected and are really painful. I was trying to avoid going to the doctors for obvious reasons but it's got really painful so I need to go and have booked an appointment. Just wondering if everything had ever had the same problem, if they went to the doctors and what happened? also if anyone has any advice or can confirm if surgery/antibiotics etc are a bar to entry it'll be greatly appreciated! Cheers lads

2. cc1

cc1 Royal Marines Commando

You shouldn't need a copy of your medical records to take with you, surely? Surgery is dependant on what it's for. With all due respect, why apply for the Marines whilst both big toes are infected, these sorts of things don't happen overnight.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Nah mate I'm not planning on joining just yet but i need to see exactly what's on my medical records and then see if that's a bar to entry. Not planning on joining til 2018 but might have to push this back a year if I need surgery on my toes for the infection.

4. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If there is something serious enough on your Medical notes to be a bar to entry, wouldn't you already be aware of it??

What other conditions have you suffered from?

5. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sprained wrist, fractured foot, Achilles tendinitis(I think that's what it's called) and a series of visits to CAMHS (children's mental health services) where a diagnosis of ADHD was talked about but never formally made

6. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Chances are that the Medical officer will ask for details on each condition so it may be worth getting info on those specific conditions/injuries. Being prepared can always help with Medical. Fingers crossed for you

• Like Like x 2
  7. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Easiest way of finding out if theres anything glaring on your records, is to either register for Patient Access which lets you view all your medical info and documents online (if your GP surgery is apart of the program)

Or ring up your surgery, book an appointment with your GP and have a chat with him/her, and they'll be more than happy to go through your record on their computer, and when I did, my GP printed out any important page, ended up with 40 bits of paper that would of cost me money to obtain for free, including proof of when my Asthma prescription ended etc and all major hospitalisations, which will be a massive help when doing your questionnaire.

8. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers mate, sort of expecting a TMU/PMU so hoping I'll have a strong appeal

9. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    They've asked me to fill in a request form to view my records which I'll do when I'm down there on Tuesday for my toes.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Ongoing/unresolved medical issues will in most cases, be a bar to entry until fully resolved. Surgery on digits or broken fingers & toes, usually require a six month recovery period, so as long as it's not bunions or hammer toe (the latter being a permanent bar, unfortunately), you should be OK.

The tip, as a rough rule of thumb, or toe :) ,is to be totally free from treatment or medication and fully fit in all respects before submitting an application.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Booking an appointment with your GP was a sensible decision. Your health comes first.

• Like Like x 2
  12. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Was a hard decision to make but after seeing @Ninja_Stoker post above I feel alot better. Just hoping I can get it sorted relatively quick and get cracking with my half marathon training, October will be here before I know it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Hopefully the condition can be addressed with medication rather than by surgery.
    If the pain in both toes does not subside or if it increases prior to your GP appointment, get yourself down to your nearest A & E for pain relief and a diagnosis.
    You'll be paying for the NHS for the rest of your working life so get your moneys' worth out of it now. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. robbo2270

robbo2270 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Its feeling okay right now but after an 8 hour shift tomorrow I'll probably go down to A+E

• Like Like x 1