Medical History

duluoz

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I was a kid (about 10,11), I used to get asthma, only during the summer, due to hayfever. This is on my medical records, and I took a ventolin inhaler.

I havent had any problems with it, or taken an inhaler since then, over 10 years ago - does anyone know if this would stop me joining the RMR? Are medical records checked, or is it enough if you pass their own medical and fitness tests?

I hope this wouldn't stop me, as I said I no longer have this problem.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you'll be fine mate i had asthma for a couple of years as a kid and had no probs with medical so long as you've been clear for 4 years (i think 4)

duluoz

Reaction score
wow - thanks for the very quick and positive reply!

Cheers

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just note : they will probably ask if you have EVER had it during interview, application only asks for 4 years prior ;)

duluoz

Reaction score
aha. And I should tell them that I used to have it?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yup honesty is the best route.
I doubt it'll be a problem - as it has not recurred.

Gidion

Reaction score
Does it matter if you dont have asthma, and never have, but have been prescribed an inhaler 'just in case' after a chest infection/ rugby incident? Is there a form you have to sign? if so what is on it?

thanks for any input.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure, you'd have to await a reply by Ninja for that one, I'm not sure if it would have a problem though.

Gidion

Reaction score
he has already posted some info on my situation, but the thread died off. i just thought id try and get some more info now that the subject is back up.

I went to see my doc and asked him if this, incident, i suppose, would hinder my application. He said that i shouldnt even have to mention it, as it wasnt asthma and my breath test results were well above my predicted levels. Even so, im still a bit worried if on the form i am asked if i have ever been prescribed an inhaler, especially considering the chore you have to go through if it does cause a problem (read my post on this thread :- http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4634&highlight=lungs.

Oh and my shortness of breath, only lasted a few days, and the inhaler did nothing to help, so *text deleted* only used it once.