Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical Issue just before PJFT

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Firedrake, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I was TMU’d 2 months ago for having white coat syndrome during my medical. My 24hr BP results came back the other day fine and I am expecting to be made medically fit this week or next.

Problem is I started having an issue with my hip joint 3 weeks ago and it is still bad enough that I don’t think I am going to be fit for my PJFT within 28 days. I can just about get through the first run but it is particularly uncomfortable. I am seeing a physio tomorrow to see what the issue is but am wondering how best to approach this with the AFCO. I don't want to be seen as the person who bottles it just before the tests but neither do I want to go straight to the doctor about it. I assume it would be dealt with in a similar way to shin splints so what would be the downtime before being made medically fit again? I am 33 in March and am concerned I am going to miss the boat.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'd suggest that you have a chat with your Careers Adviser once you've sought the opinion of the physio. Clearly the biggest problem is your proximity to the age limit.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that your CA has well developed senses to differentiate between candidates with genuine injury niggles and the time wasters so don't worry about it. Best of luck.

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I had my Physio today he says that I have a bad pull in my groin, that is most likely down to poor flexibility and mobility in my hip flexors and adductors. I am all good to swim, row and cross train but I should not be running for 6 to 8 weeks. I have been given a program of 4x30s of stretches 4 times a day to do.
    Given that I would have thought my CA will be expecting me to pass my PJFT within 28 days after interview as I have already passed my medical, what is likely to happen to me.
    What is the general procedure if someone cannot complete a PJFT in 28 days. Will I have to defer my application and retake my medical?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The sooner you inform your AFCO, the more credible and compelling the case to defer the PJFT pending recovery.

If the AFCO is informed there's a problem at the point the PJFT should've been taken, it'll count as a fail.

If the injury is significant enough to require medical intervention or treatment, the odds are the AFCO may have to organise a follow-up medical examination, once you declare yourself "good to go" to ensure the injury is fully resolved and unlikely to recur during training. There's no mandated time period, in this instance, it's whenever you are fit enough to take the PJFT.

The sooner your AFCO is informed of your change in status (as advised in the post interview caution) the sooner the clock can be stopped whilst recovery takes place.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I have the ability to write a detailed email with recovery plan tomorrow morning or go to the office or call in the afternoon to discuss my options if he is available.

Which one of these methods would be most appropriate/look best to CA.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'd be inclined to pop in for a face to face to be honest, it always looks better but admittedly an email is auditable proof of your notifiying your AFCO.

Either or both are equally valid.

7. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you for the advice. I went into the AFCO and it wasn't a problem.

• Like Like x 2