Medical jaw injury bar to entry ?

JHRMarine

Reaction score
Hi guys hopefully someone can help,

Last year I had surgery on my jaw after breaking it in two places and in return received two metal plates to help the break to heal
Now I am fine and have not had any issues at all with it since the op but I don’t know if the plates are going to be an issue?
If I had a break in my leg and had metal plates put in it is obviously more likely to be a problem due to all the phys but as it is in my jaw is this the same case?
Cheers lads hopefully someone can give me a bit of guidance or if anyone has had any experience with this in their medical

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you PM me and/or CHUB! your details we can ask the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) on your behalf after the Bank Holiday.

Whilst not medically qualified to give definitive medical advice, my gut feeling is that as long as 12 months have elapsed, thebeye socket wasn't affected & the plates don't need to be removed, you should be OK.

I'd caution we need to get a qualified opinion first.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@JHRMarine, Just checked with the Service Entry Medical Cell (with your xray).

They stated the best thing to do, to prove the breaks have fully healed, is to have another xray of your jaw. Cheapes/easiest way to do that is to do it via your dentist.

There's no need for the plates to be removed & as long as they are secure, fracture healed, you should be good to go at the 12 month point or sooner if you can get the xrays done.

JHRMarine

Reaction score
That’s promising news, funny enough I am booked in a visit to the dentist for the end of the month so will definitely get an x ray sorted.
Thank you for all your time and going out of your way to ask about this Rob couldn’t have asked for a better response. Been a big concern (and still potentially is) over these past few months so fingers crossed I can get my plans back on track
Thanks again!