Medical mishaps and rating vs Sandhurst.

browntrout

Reaction score
Second post, half specific question relating to my application and half a broader one for anyone to give input about what they think/know.

Firstly, in hindsight I filled out my medical questionnaire a bit over-zealously and marked myself down for more than I have (I didn't want to be caught out on my medical history but I was also misinformed). How exactly should I go about telling them this to prevent even more deferral time? It is something that could debar me from entry if they're feeling harsh, but now I've taken a look at my history it's not as bad as I stated.

Secondly - failing POC/AIB. What are people's thoughts on going in as a rating, or switching to Infantry or other regiments in the Army? Infantry seems the natural route for people who want to do join the Marines but there's so much more there.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Looks a bit like you're trying to over-think things.

The medical questionnaire is pretty much unambiguous. If it asks "Have you ever...." then it is correct to answer honestly. Don't start playing mind-games or waffling-on about stuff you thought you had, but later found out you didn't. It sounds like bull.

To avoid delays, produce copies of the complete medical history of any declared conditions at the first medical examination - as clearly advised in the medical appointment letter.

With regard failing POC or AIB, the truth is that there are a huge number of Other Rank Royal Marines with ying-yangs of qualifications that elected to join as Other Ranks for a plethora of reasons. Anyone who feels they are destined only to join as an Officer in any service, probably needs to take a humility pill.

Best o'luck ;)

StandSure

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For me I originally applied for the Army and I filled out the questionnaire marking down that I had previously suffered from lower back pain, this was due to poorly performed lumbar puncture which put me in bed for 6weeks, there wasn't an option to expand on this and it was automatically classed as a bar to entry...

I appealed with further information and this was then marked down as TMU due to depression, which I accepted...

I was during this time I became interested in the RMC and upon speaking to the AFCO my reasons for the depression or that's what was written on my medical records may not be an issue and ill have the chance to explain on this in the interview and medical, so all is not lost if you do feel you declared more then what was...

Honesty is always the best policy and as long as you are able to explain the issue, and its acceptable to meet standards you should be fine...

I won my appeal by using my Significant Medical History and highlighting on the details of issues and injuries, I also explained aftermath and precursors...

As for the Choice of service, I've always been into the Army its been a big influence on my life since being a kid, and I still hold that option open as I can start that application again in April...

At the moment I'm having trouble with gaining weight, so I if I cant meet this standard I can fall back onto the Army application, the way I see it is, its the person in the uniform that makes the soldier, you will get what you put in, be it Navy Airforce or Army...

Good luck bud

browntrout

Reaction score
Cheers Ninja and Stand. Just to clear up, I've already been deferred from my first medical w/ RM, for a number of reasons. I did bring medical letters but unfortunately due to being misinformed, I then misinformed the doctor doing the medical, which is why I'm looking at how to re-contact them about it before a second medical. I'd rather not go for a second medical and then have to wait another 3 months before being able to book a PJFT etc, ideally I'd like a shot at this year's officer batch.

The more I do with the OCdts the more I'm thinking I might enjoy a rating role as well, so no blinkers on regarding only doing officer roles.

Thanks for the anecdote stand, gives me a bit more hope. Also will probably do Main Board even if I want to go RM eventually, keep your options open etc and there are so many great roles in the Army too.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I did bring medical letters but unfortunately due to being misinformed, I then misinformed the doctor doing the medical, which is why I'm looking at how to re-contact them about it before a second medical. I'd rather not go for a second medical and then have to wait another 3 months before being able to book a PJFT etc, ideally I'd like a shot at this year's officer batch.
The best bet is to put it down on paper and ask your AFCO to either forward it to the medical examiner or insert it into your medical notes so that the Medical Examiner is aware of your declared change in circumstances before the medical review.

In the event a decision has been made based on the information already given and it goes against you, then the best bet is to gather your evidence and forward it together with a covering letter stating you wish to appeal.