Medical Officers (Doctors)

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I just wandered, out of curiosity about Doctor-Officers.

Does someone get a medical degree, and then do the Commando and Officer training and become a medically trained officer? Or are they drawn from the other services?

I know that in the Army someone will study for a medical degree and then do a shorter version of the officers course.

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Qualified Medical Officers (GP's, surgeons & Anaesthetists) serving with the Royal Marines are usually Royal Naval Officers, called Medical Officers (MO) but occasionally there are Army & RAF Medical officers serving on attachment.

Some of the Naval Officers will have undergone the All Arms Commando Course (AACC) and are Royal Navy Commandos - they wear a green beret & Naval Officer beret badge.

Occasionally you will get the odd civilian Doctor who joins the RMR, but as you cannot join the RMR directly as an Officer without former service they have to join as an Other Rank. Whilst they may eventually become an Officer in the RMR, there are no jobs for RM Doctors, so they will have to either become an RNR MO if they wish to be employed in the MO role and paid as such or simply an RMR Officer (Max age 30 on transferring to Officer) paid on the Officer flat pay rate rather than the Medical Officer pay rate. (There's a HUGE difference!).

The Royal Marines also have Royal Naval Medical Assistants (similar to paramedics) attached who may undergo AACC and become RN Commandos or quite often trained RM Commandos can opt to become a Commando Medic by undergoing the RN Medical Assistant training course after completing Commando Recruit Training.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Okay thanks that perfectly answered my question.

So by the way a medical officer will get higher rate of pay than a normal officer? I was about to say if they didn't that would be weird. Do you know where I can look at their pay rates? Just out of curiosity.

Thanks a lot.