Medical on Friday

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been booked in for a medical on Friday, any advice on how to prepare myself over the next few days before it?

Also, the email they gave me said that I should be OFF any protein supplements for a WEEK before the medical. The last time I had one was yesterday (Sunday) so this is within a week of the medial. Do you reckon I should reschedule because of this as I’ve had a protein shake a week before which is unadvised? Although it is worth noting that I have a very very very fast metabolism so I can get it out of my system quicker than others.

Cheers

Lawman

Reaction score
Be sure you can do 10 push ups, also dont be alarmed when they ask you to bend over and cough, be able to do jump frogs.

If you can do all that, and you dont ha e anything physically wrong with you, youll be fine.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure you can do 10 push ups, also dont be alarmed when they ask you to bend over and cough, be able to do jump frogs.

If you can do all that, and you dont ha e anything physically wrong with you, youll be fine.

Really? Ahh ok I didn’t know you had to do physical stuff on the medical

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
With the protein, your only a day out but drink lots and lots and lots of water as this will just flush your system out.

BubbleBert

Reaction score
Personally, from my medical - wouldn't worry too much about Protein shake, I had a double for breakfast on day of medical (and week leading up to it) and nothing was picked up or said.

But was also drinking 4ltrs of water a day.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, from my medical - wouldn't worry too much about Protein shake, I had a double for breakfast on day of medical (and week leading up to it) and nothing was picked up or said.

But was also drinking 4ltrs of water a day.
Ok thanks. I’ll steer clear of it until after the medical just to be on the safe side, it’s only a few days I’ll have to go without it after all

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They picked up some protein in my piss test on my first medical, and I hadn’t touched a shake for a week prior but that being said everyone’s body is different so yeah as said above numerous times just lay off them until you’ve passed.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also, it says on the email no energetic exercise for 2 days before.
So does this mean I should give my hill sprint session a miss tonight?:(
Also does it mean I should give my body weight exercises a miss tomorrow morning?

I had a google and apparently it can cause protein to go in your urine with results in a fail

Did anyone do intense physical activity within 48 hours (2 days) of their medical and still pass?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Also, it says on the email no energetic exercise for 2 days before.
So does this mean I should give my hill sprint session a miss tonight?:(
Also does it mean I should give my body weight exercises a miss tomorrow morning?

I'd advise following the instructions in the email.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd advise following the instructions in the email.

Ok then that’s the hills session cancelled. As on the email it gives examples of the exercise as “don’t do a 5K run or play a whole game of football”. So I won’t do hills.

But what do you think about doing gainers tomorrow morning (just 3 sets of press ups/ 3 sets of pull ups)? As this isn’t “intense” like they describe on the email but you reckon even doing that could affect me?

Chelonian

Reaction score
As this isn’t “intense” like they describe on the email but you reckon even doing that could affect me?

The word 'intense' is subjective. Three sets of both pull ups and press ups would cripple my 85-year-old ma.

The instruction to avoid intense exercise might be because it means that the medical examination has a benchmark common to all candidates. It might not have a measurable impact on any one individual's results. But I think that we're over-thinking this.

My suggestion that you follow the instructions is based solely on my own experience of thinking that I knew better than instructions for much of my life and ignoring them. Doing so hasn't always worked out well. :)

What is perhaps most important is that you attend your medical feeling calm and relaxed. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

AquaPara

Reaction score
I agree with Chelonian, i've had the pleasure of attending 2 medicals and think you're overthinking it. It's nothing too strenuous and pretty chilled out, in and out in half an hour.

Just stick to the advice in the email and bang out the phys when you get home.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The word 'intense' is subjective. Three sets of both pull ups and press ups would cripple my 85-year-old ma.

The instruction to avoid intense exercise might be because it means that the medical examination has a benchmark common to all candidates. It might not have a measurable impact on any one individual's results. But I think that we're over-thinking this.

My suggestion that you follow the instructions is based solely on my own experience of thinking that I knew better than instructions for much of my life and ignoring them. Doing so hasn't always worked out well. :)

What is perhaps most important is that you attend your medical feeling calm and relaxed. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.
I agree with Chelonian, i've had the pleasure of attending 2 medicals and think you're overthinking it. It's nothing too strenuous and pretty chilled out, in and out in half an hour.

Just stick to the advice in the email and bang out the phys when you get home.

Ok cheers guys. And yeah I’m robably overthinking it but I get nervous about every stage of the selection process *text deleted*.

And *text deleted* I had a protein shake on Sunday so that’s within a week so I’ve already broken one of the rules but been drinking lots of water.

I’ll post on here how I got on

Chelonian

Reaction score
And yeah I’m robably overthinking it but I get nervous about every stage of the selection process *text deleted*.

It's natural to be apprehensive and it's prudent to regard all such hurdles with respect. But remember to give equal credit to your own commitment and to have perhaps a quiet confidence that you are investing the required time and energy to achieve your goal.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The generic advice offered in the medical appointment letter is based on instances where individuals have been made TMU for high protein & requiring a subsequent medical appointment, usually about a month or so later.

The main causes of this are vigorous exercise or the consumption of protein shakes, but there are sometimes significant underlying health issues which can be detected by this test, hence the reason it needs to be checked and passed clear.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi had it today it went ok

Also they didnt do anything with my piss, just took in the sample. I assume they’ll test it later or somethinf

Just a small issue with my hearing, although both my ears are at a satisfactory standard for entry, as one is better than the other the nurse said she is *text deleted* check it with the chief medical officer. It could come back with them saying yeah that’s fine but it could mean I will have to go to my GP and have a check. They said it should take a few days.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What else did you think they were going to do with it? :eek:

Hopefully the issue with your ears will be speedily resolved.
You'd best get back to your hill sprints! :)

Aha yeah nah I thought they’d check it on the day like put it through some machine or whatever there n then but oh well.

And yeah hopefully the ear issue is nothing. At the end of the day although my left was better than my right, my right was still within standards for joining according to the nurse.

And ahh yeah but no hill sprints today;) arnys plan says hill sprints on Thursday today is a normal run:)