Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical paper review

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Breeze2, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Breeze2

Breeze2 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I had my medical yesterday and am currently tmu because of my blood pressure being too high. This was only down to the excitement/nervousness of the medical result and also having to rush around to get there from work as my medical the week before which I had taken a day off for had been cancelled a couple of hours before I was due to go. I got an email today to say that I’m having a paper review today of my medical. Does anyone know what this is exactly and what they are actually reviewing? Also how long does it take to hear back?
    Any reply would be appreciated
    Cheers

2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

If Capita need to refer the medical notes to the Senior Medical Officer for review, it can add up to 4 weeks I believe.

Obviously keep an eye on it & ensure the high BP isn’t linked to anything else. Better time management next time and arrive calm, fresh and ready to go. Nobody enjoys being flustered and a sob story. Chances are you are a fit young specimen and it will be fine.

I read a study once that drinking fresh beetroot juice can reduced blood pressure. Apart from that the basics are
    • reduce the amount of salt you eat and have a generally healthy diet
    • cut back on alcohol
    • lose weight if you're overweight (which if you are applying you shouldn’t be)
    • exercise regularly (Bit of a given)
    • cut down on caffeine
    • stop smoking
    • try to get at least 6 hours of sleep a night.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Remember to avoid caffeine and sugary drinks before going. Best bet is to avoid having coffee or energy drinks etc the day before to avoid any potential impact on your blood pressure reading.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Breeze2 Just out of interest, may I ask how many BP tests you had yesterday?

I arrived for my last medical exam on time, but only just, after running the final 100 metres. My initial BP reading was high so I was told to sit and rest for fifteen minutes and then a second BP reading was taken which was normal. I understand that time constraints don't make a second BP reading possible in all circumstances.

Reading the experiences of candidates at PJFT it seems fairly common for anyone with an elevated initial BP to be given a few minutes rest before a second BP reading is made.

5. Breeze2

Breeze2 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    So I had one BP test at my PJFT last week prior to starting the test, which was 130/75, well within the pass mark. Yesterday at my medical I had 4 I think but all within a minute or two of each other, I think as i failed the first two I was getting myself more and more worked up. The result was coming down however and was almost a pass but she couldn’t pass me as it wasn’t quite there

• Like Like x 1
  6. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    On my PJFT, I had about 10 tries on my BP test, over the space of 30 mins; even then it didnt get below the standard, but was decreasing with each test, he just said it doesnt matter as I passed the medical literally a few weeks before anyway.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm certainly not medically qualified but I'll go out on a limb and suggest that neither was the gym employee who took your BP.

As I understand—happy to be corrected—the pre-PJFT BP test conducted at the gym is to manage the insurance liability of Nuffield (or whatever). It's certainly a topic that has been discussed on this forum previously.

My completely non-medical-professional speculation is that you'd have been better served if you'd been told by the gym staff to take a seat and relax for twenty minutes rather than repeatedly taking your BP every three minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Breeze2 @Chelonian - Spot on , the BP is for the Gym,s own liability and nothing to do with your medical bits. Your paper review is normally completed within a working week to be fair to Capita , and you should get an email fairly swiftly , if you AFCO is allover it they may well give you a heads up if passed as well , as they may be wanting to get PJFT paperwork out to you as well.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1