Medical paperwork help?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Jun 18, 2017 at 5:22 PM.

1. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I passed my recruitment test Monday how I really don't know to be fair guessed so many of them as the time given seems like nothing and found several of the questions were things I'd never heared of so I did expect the worse when they were marking the test.

Once I told I wpassed was a image to behold biggest smile felt pretty proud but was told to book an eye test for the next few weeks I booked one for the next day which I have 20/20 vision so have no issues there.

I have been booked in for my interview for the 29th of this month so just under 2 weeks to go I was told what to expect eg.

I was given the eye tests forms which have been filled in from optician and 2 medical forms one for myself and one for the gp to fill in.

My question is on the front of the medical forms it has my weight and height which the doctor will fill in I'm still currently above the aloud BMI for my weight to height ratio but not far off the limit aloud , will it not make a difference what weight I am now until I get to the face to face medical then that's where it counts? Or will it be brought up on the phone call medical and if I'm still above the bmi aloud will I be told I don't meet the standards?

I'm asking this as I don't see the point me going to my gp him basically filling it in which states I'm overweight(bmi)then capita ringing me and saying I have been given so and so time to get to the standards.

I was going to go to the gp tomorrow with the forms but when I seen the weight question it got me thinking also with regards to filling in the forms do I have to pay the GP to fill them in? I didn't have to pay for the eye tests but I live 2 hour journey from the recruitment office and pay for travel and for clothes for interview seems like it's adding up a fair bit.

If I can get help on this by tomorrow be much appreciated thankyou

2. marriedwithchildren

marriedwithchildren New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I filled the forms myself, i didn't go to gp..my carrers adviser asked me to fill it myslef if I remember correctly

3. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ty for the reply I was given 2 copies one for myself and one with a medical envolope needs to be stamped eg for the gp to fill in which he sends off once he's filled in otherwise I could just lie about medical history and not bring them up this is why gp has to fill one out and sent it off.

More concerned about the height/weight area which makes me technically unfit but I was told on application it's not a problem think I was told that as they expected me to be enough weight by medical just don't know if that means by face to face medical or the phone call medical

4. marriedwithchildren

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Well I recon its on face to face because they can't weight you on a phone . Just if they ask , tell them you lost weight already

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Well done for passing the test.

Someone on here will give you the definitive answer about medical standards specific to body weight. Almost certainly the best person to do this is @Ninja_Stoker who has access to the current standards.

For what it's worth, losing body weight to meet a medical standard is almost certainly easier than having to gain body weight to do the same. Best of luck.

6. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou appreciate it

I know the standards I have to be regarding weight but my issue is when the gp fills in the forms and sends them off my current bmi is over the limit aloud so will capita see that and tmu me over the phone and backtrack me say 6 months that's what I'm concerned with.

I know my bmi will be okay by the time my in person medical comes around but not sure how the phone call medical works when their going off the gp forms.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Fill in the forms yourself. If we need information from your GP, the contracted company will contact your GP surgery.

If your BMI is outside the accepted parameters then you cannot be passed fit unfortunately and will be advised of this during the triage phonce call.

We hear that people "will meet the standard in time" on a daily basis unfortunately and whilst it's appreciated you will probably be different to most other applicants, the proof is in the pudding (or lack-of) and the medical cannot be booked if they know you are not going to be passed fit on grounds of BMI.

My tip? Take your completed medical questionnaire to your interview and discuss this issue with your careers adviser. There have been times when "muscle bosuns" have been allowed to go forward for medical outside the stated parameters, but similarly, it's not the ideal scenario when the emphasis is cv fitness, not weight training.

8. Teapot

Teapot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    When I went for my interview I was 'overweight' according to BMI. I'm not a muscle bosun by any stretch but I'm short and only have 9% body fat. I was a competitive weightlifter at the time and the careers advisor told me to ditch the weights and hit the pavement :D anyway I was okay to go ahead to my medical, even though I'm technically 'overweight'.
    Funny story about being short, when I was in the careers center a Naval Officer, not sure what rank, saw me, asked me what service I was joining and I told him 'Royal Marines' and his response was to put his hand on my shoulder, shake it a bit and tell me 'You're a bit short for a Marine'. I told him 'I'm six foot in here' as I pointed to my head :D:D
    Anyway back to your question as Ninja said I think it totally depends on your body composition.

9. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

I was given 2 sets of medical forms one for myself and the other is for the gp to release my medical history which they fill in and send off and it came with another piece of paper which needs to be completed by the surgery (signature/surgery stamp) eg just bit confused to be fair.

Well I'll ring up the office tomorrow and defer my interview for a later date as would be silly for me to fill in the medical form and bring it to the interview with me being outside the limit.

I spoke to the careers advisor regarding this issue they said to see the gp and see if they can put you on some tablets to make you lose the weight quicker.

If I went for the interview how long does a pass last before you have to do the medical? I know the recruitment test is 3 years so I was told just not sure of the interview stage if passed.

I know I ask a lot and appreciate the help just don't *text deleted* be put back 6 or 12 months when I can just make the stages for a later date rather than it being out my hands

10. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Ty for your reply my waist in measurements keeps varying I know if I'm 94cm doesn't matter how much I weigh , lowest I've got down to is 96cm if it is just under the bottom rib if it's the correct way to measure it , for a bmi of 27.9 for my height I need to weigh 13 stone 7 I'm currently 14 stone 1 so just trying to get the rest off is becoming an issue

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You are given two medical questionnaires.

The one marked "AFCO copy" is the one you complete and return to your AFCO. Within it is the signed consent form which you sign, granting access to your medical records held by your GP, should access be required. Your GP does not need to do anything.

The questionnaire marked "Candidates Copy" is for you to record and retain so that you know exactly what you declared on the AFCO copy.

If you are overweight, then tablets are definitely not recommended. Healthy eating and cv fitness are recommended.

No point deferring an interview but not wanting to delay your medical, it doesn't make sense. The interview remains valid once passed but may need updating annually if you haven't entered service.

12. Teapot

Teapot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Mate you don't need tablets, you don't have much weight to actually lose. You measure your waist from the narrowest part of the waist, if that's just under your ribs then that's it. But I wouldn't recommend pills. Get the MyFitnessPal app, it's free, count your calories, get out running and you should with ease drop one pound a week healthily. In 6 weeks you'll be sorted.
    Hope everything works out for you but I wouldn't worry too much, you're not massively over your ideal BMI. A few weeks of calorie counting and you'll be in great shape.

13. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

How much cardio are you currently doing? You should be nearly capable of passing a pjft at your stage of application by now?

If your training properly (Which at this stage you should be) then you should be seeing a gradual weight loss. As a significant emphasis on cardio is needed to pass the PRMC.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do 5 days a week morning and night running also do pressups/sit-ups to the beep morning and night also 5 days a week my football training starts this week which will be twice a week which will be a handy add will add swimming in this week also.

I don't drink/smoke haven't had sugar or rubbish in weeks I was at 15 stone 3ish around a monthish ago so I have definitely dropped a signifiant amount of weight in a short period of time but now I feel that I'm at a point where the weight isn't coming off and if it does will it effect my performance due to the time I have got the weight off.

I haven't thought as far as prmc yet as I always knew my medical would be the main issue when it came about but honestly didn't think it would be this fast , when I applied online I brought this up when I received a phone call regarding my bmi being over and was told to just continue my application do the tests and interview until you get to the medical and see where your at then regarding my weight but now I have to fill in forms regarding my weight and then receive a call from capita which will be shortly after the interview I'm expecting.

If I pass the interview am I able to defer my phone call medical for say 4/6 weeks rather than receive the call have an over bmi and then made 6 months tmu which is out of my hands.

Or do you have a set time to do your medical like with the stage from medical to pjft which must be within 2 weeks?

15. Mattys

Mattys New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Okay ty ninja appreciate your help that makes more sense now but I will delay sending off the medical forms for the time bein and will still undertake the interview and can get more answers after that situation tell them my concerns and see if the medical will be delayed slightly for the time being regarding this.

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

A stated above, a weekly loss of about one pound is both do-able and sustainable. One week the weight loss might be minimal but somewhat more the next week. Consider weighing yourself once every two weeks. Any loss will be more apparent and thus boost confidence.

Keep a diary of what you eat and portion size. Maintain an appropriate standard of CV training.

As Ninja states, discuss with your AFCO. How about pausing your application until the body weight issue is resolved? You'll then be able to crack on with confidence.

The notion of weight loss tablets is absurd... unless you're Coleen Nolan. :)

17. marriedwithchildren

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You don't need to send it , just take it to your AFCO on interview day