Medical Question, (might be one for ninja)

Dan6488

Reaction score
alright guys,

i had my medical last thursday, i got *text deleted**text deleted* scores on my peak flow test (450-500) so he wants me to do a 28 day diary, but i was reading up on it and apprently its a unreliable test and can have a varience of 100 and still be within normal ranges.

i was diagnosed with asthma as a child so i can see why he wants to be sure but does this look like grounds for TMU? as a 4 year wait would be devastating. but i have never had to use an inhaler even though i was prescribed one and never had any form of ashtma attack or wheezing.

any advice would be appriciated

cheers

EDIT: im 5'8 and 17 and i think i should be reaching 500 for my stats

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't been prescribed medication recently then you will be fine as long as your peak flow diary shows good results.

To be honest I think peak flows are rubbish. I bought one and get different results every time. There must be a nack to it.

Dan6488

Reaction score
If you haven't been prescribed medication recently then you will be fine as long as your peak flow diary shows good results.

To be honest I think peak flows are rubbish. I bought one and get different results every time. There must be a nack to it.
i consistantly get the same result its just i think its slightly below the standard for my stats but as i said before i read that you can get a 100 varience and it still be a be ok.

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got TMU'd to do a peak flow diary due to having asthma as a kid. I was getting 600 and passed fine, with a bit of practise you can improve your results. Take a few deep breaths before hand to expand your lungs. Also take it to your afco as soon as you finish it, my medical examiner told me they would contact me after 8 weeks! so I wasted a whole month!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The peak-flow diary is routine requirement for anyone with any history of asthma. The readings should consistently be within the acceptable parameters.

At the same time your GP will be sent an asthma questionnaire which requires a history of the condition & subsequent treatment. If prescribed an inhaler the obvious questions will be why was it required, what symptoms were present & when was the last couple of times an inhaler was requested. If inhalers have been consistently prescribed since diagnosis, you cannot retrospectively claim they weren't required for the last 4 years.

Dan6488

Reaction score
The peak-flow diary is routine requirement for anyone with any history of asthma. The readings should consistently be within the acceptable parameters.

At the same time your GP will be sent an asthma questionnaire which requires a history of the condition & subsequent treatment. If prescribed an inhaler the obvious questions will be why was it required, what symptoms were present & when was the last couple of times an inhaler was requested. If inhalers have been consistently prescribed since diagnosis, you cannot retrospectively claim they weren't required for the last 4 years.
cheers thats cleared it up i havent had an inhaler since i was in primary school (i cant remember how old i was it was that long ago), will i still be declared medically fit even if my peakflow is below the normal standards? even if im cleared of asthma?

thanks again

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
will i still be declared medically fit even if my peakflow is below the normal standards?
If your peakflow diary readings consistently meet the required standards then you'll be passed fit. If they don't then there would be little point for the test.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Google normal peak flow results. Find your height and weight and see. In regards what you are saying, yes I believe "acceptable" is a minimum of 100 below the average.

I'm 5ft 11 and hit around 550 on my peak flow.

As said above - before doing it, take deep breaths and expel every last bit of air from your lungs with each deep breath.

JMW123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

So does that mean that if someone had been given inhalers since diagnosis, and stop receiving them, they would be medically unfit to join, or would it depend on what type of asthma it was ?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
So does that mean that if someone had been given inhalers since diagnosis, and stop receiving them, they would be medically unfit to join, or would it depend on what type of asthma it was ?
Anyone prescribed an inhaler because they have suffered from asthma symptoms, however caused, within the last four years cannot be passed fit until 4 years have elapsed.

JMW123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone prescribed an inhaler because they have suffered from asthma symptoms, however caused, within the last four years cannot be passed fit until 4 years have elapsed.
I am talking more about after the 4 years has cleared.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Anyone prescribed an asthma inhaler in the last 4 years because they have suffered from asthma symptoms, cannot be passed fit whatever the cause of their asthma - allergies or exercise, despite the fact the previous one was more than 4 years ago.

If anyone thinks they've been prescribed an asthma inhaler in error within the last 4 years then the individual needs to prove, with qualified medical evidence, it was misdiagnosed - not easy if they have a previous history of asthma & they presumably went to see the doctor because they felt they needed treatment for breathing difficulties, however caused.

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i was annoyingly prescribed an inhaler when i was about 5 i wasn't capable of describing my symptoms at that age very well, as i wasn't having difficulty breathing, it just felt strange,

i have recently got the feeling again, no difficulty breathing but it just feels different from how i normally breath, im able to run without rest for miles on end ect.

hopefully this wont stop me joining as i don't struggle to breath, but guess we will see :P

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
how do you do a peak flow reading, do you pretty much spit air into it or.. because if i spit air into it i get around 700-800 but if do it another way i get 450-550

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
thanks, is it true the peak flow reading can be 100 out? for example- if the average for my height and age is 600 and im getting 500 is that ok?
I honestly dont know mate, the noise I hear says so though.

Geek