Medical Question

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by OSS, May 19, 2017.

1. OSS

OSS New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi,

I have passed my interview and psychometric test however failed my medical with Capita over the phone.
    I was advised by the woman I spoke to that I would be able to appeal the decision and that after completing a 3 month training diary it may be possible that I'm taken "on risk".

Does anyone have any advice for me doing this or has anyone been through this before?

I failed as I have had an ACL reconstruction from an old rugby injury, since then i've returned to sport competing in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at national and international level and most mornings do conditioning including a 5k run in 18 mins on the treadmill with weights and bag work then have wrestling, drilling or sparring/mma in the evenings with no problems in my knees. Smash the PJFT when i try it and go out climbing hills with a backpack at the weekend for fun.

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

The best person to give you guidance on this is @Ninja_Stoker
    Best of luck.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The Naval Service operates a single service policy in this area and ACL Reconstruction surgery is unfortunately, definitely an outright bar to entry which cannot be appealed. The Triage Nurse may have possibly thought it was a prior ACL injury by advising an appeal is viable, but it definitely isn't against ACL reconstruction surgery unfortunately.

The Army may still accept it, but even then there was rumour they were thinking of following the Navy lead due to the disproportionately high incidence of recurrent injury.

4. OSS

OSS New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I understand why thats the case... I wish the level of sport i've returned to and the demands I put on my knee everyday would be taken into account. I came across so many people who half assed rehab and then went back to rugby/football etc and reinjured which will be why the reinjury rate is so high because doing the proper rehab is painful and takes forever but.. it's outside of my control. :'(. thanks for the advice!

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Chin up lad. Commando ethos and values. Determination.
    This is a set back, it's not the end.
    Keep us updated mate.

• Like Like x 1