Medical question..

Farmerboy1

Reaction score
Hi all

Been thinking of applying, had a knee operation 5 years ago due to a rugby injury, is this a clear cut fail on medical or is there a chance to be fit enough to pass? After the op I did really well with the physio and recovered well. I've also played rugby and been dairy farming since so not like I haven't kept active. Basically if there's a chance I know I can give it my best shot

Cheers

12Will12

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got no issues with your knee at present. If you havent already when you start training for RT keep an eye in it and see how it holds up. However when you get to the medical stage make sure to bring all your medical records with you, after you declare that you had a knee op the medical examiner is going to want to see what it was for and if the hospital said you made a full recovery just so its not a worry. I broke my elbow prior to training and had an op on it and I provided the documents saying why, what the op was, and literally a document the hospital had signed saying the op was successful and I made a full recovery. Simple as that. Just bring your medical records with you, sort them into some kind of order so its easy to flick through and you should avoid getting TMU'd and all that jazz. Best of luck!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all

Been thinking of applying, had a knee operation 5 years ago due to a rugby injury, is this a clear cut fail on medical or is there a chance to be fit enough to pass? After the op I did really well with the physio and recovered well. I've also played rugby and been dairy farming since so not like I haven't kept active. Basically if there's a chance I know I can give it my best shot

Cheers
If it was ACL reconstruction I'm afraid it's an outright bar to entry in the Naval service, but not necessarily other services.

Farmerboy1

Reaction score
Thanks for the direct answer, even if its not what I wanted to hear... At least I'm fitter than I was before :(

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My apologies for being a harbinger of doom, but the manner in which the initial question was framed tingled my spidey senses with regard the nature of the knee op.

Pointless raising false hopes, but at the same time, the Army (last time I checked) don't currently view it as an outright bar to entry.

Possibly Army Commando is an avenue to explore.

Best of luck.