Medical question

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Rhino123, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Rhino123

Rhino123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi guys I had a operation on my back to remove a benign tumor around one of my vertebrea over 9 years ago will this be a medical dismissel as I'm going to join this year

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

It is likely to be a significant issue and depends on the specific details and individual circumstances.

Best bet? Register an interest online, gain copies of your medical notes relating to the condition and subsequent procedure and recovery, then contact your local AFCO to request your records are forwarded to the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) for definitive guidance prior to fully entering into the selection process.

Unfortunately, the best we can advise at this stage is that it would be looked at on a case by case basis but caution that bone tumours can be an issue.

Best of luck.

3. Rhino123

Rhino123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ok thank you for your help

4. Rhino123

Rhino123 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Would this be the same for regular navy or just the marines

5. Ninja_Stoker

Possibly both.

6. SWCL14

SWCL14 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just out of interest, are the medical requirements the same for the regular Navy as they are for the Marines? Are they as stringent?

I have a bit of a colourful history with injuries. So I'm looking at other options just incase. I fully expect to be PMU'D or TMU'D when I hand the medical form in.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

7. dolly

dolly New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Marine medical is certainly more challenging to pass than a regular navy medical. I was TMU'd for a couple spots on my back, the doctor said that if I was going for any other branch in the Navy I would have passed you, but since it's the marines you'll have to get on anti biotics or a perscription cream for a few months.

8. SWCL14

SWCL14 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yeah that's in line with what I though. If I get PMU'D I'll give the Navy a try I think. Cheers for the info mate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dolly

dolly New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    No worries mate, all the best with which ever you choose :)

10. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

The main two reasons for it is that the levels of stress that your body goes through training is something you'll never be able to recreate and any injury/niggle/condition will get found out early doors. Alongside this, by the end of training they'll have spent £100,000 minimum on you and they need to know that the final product they've created is firstly a hoofing soldier but also doesn't have any underlying injuries or conditions that might creep up in the future.

This day and age as well you've got to remember how society has changed and that it's so easy to file a claim against companies. They have to protect their back otherwise if they let someone through who has a pre-exisitng injury he then develops a more serious injury then the corps will be in the media spotlight. This results in big payouts getting made which as I'm sure you're aware can't be happening as we are struggling for money as it is at the moment.

Hope that clears everything up.

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. SWCL14

SWCL14 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    That's all understandable. I'm still going for the Marines but want to be realistic about the potential of being declared medical unfit.

I'm looking into the Navy and Army for roles with the option of attempting an all arms course if you're deemed suitable along with a job I will enjoy. I have a friend who has done the AACC and P-coy so have been getting advice from him.

Cheers for the help guys.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Fully understandable to wonder why standards for entry vary, but as said we have a duty of care to minimise risk of life-changing injury to the individual and cost to the service, as stated above. In short, the job is dangerous enough without stacking the odds to make significant injury even more profound.

We often get asked "Why can't I sign a waiver, accepting increased risk?" but it opens a can of worms as I doubt it would stand up in court. The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) is rightly enshrined in the Armed Forces Covenant and believe me, those serving will be glad of it if they end up 'pensioned outside' by injuries attributed to the service.

It's appreciated the job is all about taking risks but equally people can die of asthma, for example. What doesn't help is the complete nonsense argument that Olympians can win medals in cardio vascular events with supposed ongoing adulthood asthma. They can't. They don't have asthma.

13. SWCL14

SWCL14 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yeah, I've seen the asthma argument before. Asthma in my childhood is something I was 'diagnosed' with after a holiday in Portugal where I developed a severe chest infection at the age of two.

I'll just have to get all the evidence I can that my injuries have recovered and see what comes of it. If not I'll aim to get my green lid another way.

Thanks Ninja