Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical question

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Halifax93, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Halifax93

Halifax93 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    So I am re applying after leaving when I was in hunter. I’d injured my ankle, should I declare this on my forms or will they already ave this information readily available?

What steps can I take to speed the process along? Should I visit my gp and get them to write me a letter to say they feel it’s good to go? My opinion is that it is but I’ve not been to my gp about it since leaving so I wouldn’t really know where to start? Thanks for all info.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Your service medical records will be made available to the Medical Examiner. To speed things up, they will write to your GP to enquire whether there was any treatment or recurrence required - you could provide a letter from your GP, stating there's been no treatment or recurrence, at the same time as you submit your completed medical questionnaire. It could save several weeks.

3. Halifax93

Halifax93 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thank you mate. That’s really helpful!

4. Halifax93

Halifax93 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Sorry just a follow up. Do you think it could be hinderance I haven’t been to the GP for treatment? I don’t feel I’ve needed any as I’ve just been able to maintain rehab in my own time. Just not sure how they would look upon it?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It won't be a hindrance, but they will still require proof you did not see your GP for follow-up treatment. Far better to produce the info upfront than wait whilst they write back and forth to your GP.

6. Thomo

Thomo New Member

THIS. It can save you weeks or months.

7. hunteryh

hunteryh New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I applied for the British Army but my application was stopped and i was declared medically unfit for having 2 periods of low mood.
    I appealed against it as some of the imformation my GP gave them was false, my appeal was upheld and i was deferred for 24 months and if i remain symptom/treatment free within that time then i can proceed with my application.
    On my original appeal i didn't give the Army my reasons for my low mood which was caused by Two family deaths in the space of 10 months. I was wondering if i sent a second appeal with my reasons for low mood and maybe another letter from my GP backing me up, does anyone know if the outcome would remain the same ?

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The medical standards are the same Army/Navy/RAF in this area, however for an appeal to succeed, the full details should be produced from the outset rather than drip-fed upon request. This helps ensure the fairest outcome. We are unable to say what may work or doesn't work for other arms of the UK Armed Forces.

In many RN/RM cases the decision can be subjective, but then again, the diagnosis: "low mood" can manifest itself in many different ways. I have heard of RN/RM applicants previously being given some discretion when the depressive episode is linked to bereavement, as quite obviously, losing a loved-one has a profound, but understandable effect.

Best of luck.

9. hunteryh

hunteryh New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks for replying.

Do you think it would be worth sending another appeal or is "low mood" itself enough to warrant a 24 month deferral no matter the reasons ?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If applying for the RN/RM it maybe worth producing the evidence with a brief covering letter, requesting a review with a view to reduce the deferral period in light of the circumstances. For an Army application, you would need to speak to the Army as I'd be loathe to offer inaccurate (duff) advice.

• Like Like x 1