Medical records

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Scooter1, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alright lads,

I'm sure it's been posted a few times but I couldnt find a decent thread on it.

I'll be applying for the RM in a few months time from Ireland and was wondering what's the story with our medical records, do I have to get a full copy from my GP to show?
    I had a very stressful situation two years ago where i was in a car accident, a man was killed and with college on top i was finding it tough to focus! Went to my head of year about it and he referred me to a college counsellor, and basically from there they just kept wanting to call it 'depression' even though it wasnt, had no depression symptoms whatsoever and am 100% fine now!

The college counsellor put pressure on to see the college doctor and she tried prescribing me anti depressants, i never took the prescription and a month later was back to myself , I'm worried this might affect my chances? Would i just be better off ring the AFCO office up north and explaining my situation?
    Thanks in advance

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Sorry to hear of your circumstances.

If it is in your medical history, it must be declared and the AFCO medical examiner will write to your GP to get the history of this and any other condition recorded. Best bet is to have a look at your medical record, it may not even be on there.

For mental health issues, any single period of treatment following diagnosis, of less than 12 months usually requires two years symptoms-free from completion. If you were prescribed medication but didn't get the prescription exchanged, then you can prove it wasn't required. Similarly if you did get the medication and produce the unopened, unused drugs, you can demonstrate it wasn't used.

3. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Ninja,

Thanks for your advice, I may pop in to my GP during the week and see if i can have a look at my record!

I also have the prescription at home, it was never brought to a pharmacy I just took the piece of paper and brought it straight home, thank god I kept it, hopefully I should be able to sort it out!

Even if they find an issue with this, will the two years since it happened that have obviously been medication free as the prescription wasn't used count or will it begin from the moment an armed forces doctor declares it? If you get me?

Thanks again!

4. Ninja_Stoker

Obviously definitive guidance can only be given by a service health professional but as a layman, I'd have thought the last consultation or counselling session, whichever is the latter, would count as the last time symptoms occurred. If you still have the unused prescription, so much the better.

• Like Like x 1
  5. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I didn’t get a chance to read all the new standards at my medical, but they’ve updated it to include stressful situations like that and to give people a fighting chance, if their problems were caused by things such as child abuse and sexual grooming etc

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Consider making an appointment with your GP to discuss your medical records. You can explain your career aspirations and concerns. He or she can then run through the relevant records with you and put them into context.

If you want hard copies of your medical records you can formally request to be given them. Legal ownership of our individual records lies with the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. An admin fee is ususally charged for paper copies and the GP practice has a time limit in which it must comply with your request.
    Polite charm towards GP practice admin staff often pushes one's request towards the top of the pile. :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Really? I hope thats the case, I dont want to be treated or looked at differently just because of something written on my medical reports, it was a hard situation but i came out the other side absolutely fine after a month or two, just worried I'd get PMU'd for it even though I never used the prescription.

I guess my best bet will just see my GP and ring the office up north and get it sorted hopefully

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scooter1

Scooter1 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yep *text deleted* go in during the week and make an appointment and have a chat with him! Never had any problems before or after that incident so heres hoping I can get it sorted :)

Thanks all for your help and advice!

9. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks, I didn't know they updated it, that's good news :) I tried looking for the PDF document but I couldn't find one.

I had a chat with my GP about a similar issue and when I explained my circumstance, he was very understanding about it. I hope it goes well for you.

10. Charlie13

Charlie13 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I was TMU'd then PMU'd for 'low mood' which in hindsight was a combination of teenage angst and bereavement. Best thing to do is provide your medical records with your medical documents giving the doctor time to look into them. The doctor who conducted my medical rang me a few days later to say she had changed her mind and required some more info from my doctors saying i received no treatment or medication. Few weeks later i had passed my medical and was onto PJFT. Every case is different just be upfront with them. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  11. gumpo

gumpo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hi Ninja, a little medical question if I may as I am curious. The medical standards say 2 year referall if off meds within 12 months or a 4 year referall if you have 2 seperate bouts of depression.

My question is if someone had a single bout of anti depressant use, lasting 14 months or so, would that come under a 4 year referral or would it just be a straight no? Thanks!

12. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest I'm not 100% on this one but suspect a continuous period of depression lasting in excess of 12 months could be a significant issue.

At the same time, do remember I'm not medically qualified so the only way to be sure is by submitting an application and seeing what the service entry medical cell advise (SEMC).

I've tagged @CHUB! Just in case there's anything further to add.

13. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I’ve been rejected by Capita as mine was 13 months!!

Spoke to my careers advisor yesterday and he said appeal and keep going until I have a leave us alone letter!! But then he knows I’m keen to fight it all the way

14. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Unfortunately anything that is beyond 12 months is a bar to entry. :(:(