Medical requirements

Wilson

Reaction score
Hi there, I’ve applied for the Royal Marines and I’m scheduled to take my recruit test on the 8th January 2019. This may be cancelled however due to medical requirements.
I had asthma as a child and I’ve been prescribed 2 episodes of oral medication for this, however I’ve only taken one as one was precautionary and wasn’t actually taken. Would this prevent me from passing the medical requirements?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you can prove the medication was unused & unnecessary, then the advice is to submit the evidence after the recruit test, together with your completed medical questionnaire & optician report form. It would do no harm to attach a brief covering/explanatory letter with the relevant medical records and evidence. If you were hospitalised through asthma, have been prescibed inhalers within the last for years or when over age 18, then it's likely to be a significant issue.

If the oral medication was prescribed twice for the same single ongoing episode, then the odds of a successful review are more promising

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, I’ve applied for the Royal Marines and I’m scheduled to take my recruit test on the 8th January 2019. This may be cancelled however due to medical requirements.
I had asthma as a child and I’ve been prescribed 2 episodes of oral medication for this, however I’ve only taken one as one was precautionary and wasn’t actually taken. Would this prevent me from passing the medical requirements?
Maybe speak to your GP also about starting a peak flow diary too as I believe that the Medical Officer will ask you to do one anyway

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Maybe speak to your GP also about starting a peak flow diary too as I believe that the Medical Officer will ask you to do one anyway
Peak Flow diaries are no longer mandatory for all those with a previous history of asthma however, when wishing to provide evidence of freedom from asthma symptoms (in addition to being 4 years free from any prescriptions for inhalers), a diary may help.

Wilson

Reaction score
If you can prove the medication was unused & unnecessary, then the advice is to submit the evidence after the recruit test, together with your completed medical questionnaire & optician report form. It would do no harm to attach a brief covering/explanatory letter with the relevant medical records and evidence. If you were hospitalised through asthma, have been prescibed inhalers within the last for years or when over age 18, then it's likely to be a significant issue.

If the oral medication was prescribed twice for the same single ongoing episode, then the odds of a successful review are more promising
Okay thank you for the advice and information

Aura

Reaction score
Good day guys, thought I'd just piggy back this thread. Commonwealth applicant.

1) Filling out the forms, and do not have an NHS (at least UK one). Do I fill this in and if so, with what?

2) Even though no medical issues, do I 100% need to track down and bring my medical records? My GP retired over a decade ago, and I haven't been to a doctor for 4-5 years.

Thank you!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
1. You'll get an NHS & National Insurance Number upon arrival in UK if you pass selection. For now, just write "overseas applicant"

2. It's worth doing the legwork now rather than trying to track down your medical records at a critical point of selection and causing unnecessary delays. Even if you broke your little finger at the age of three or had an inhaler prescribed just once, they'll want to know about it. Most countries have digital medical records nowadays, ever if you haven't been to see a Doctor for ages.

Aura

Reaction score
Good day again! Did my eye exam, and the Optician didn't know what the URN and BOP meant on the form. Any insight on this?

The envelope is sealed already, and after speaking to reception, she said that the doctor is thorough when it comes to filling out forms. Just want to make sure this isn't crucial before I send this all out this week or next.

Thanks!

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Good day again! Did my eye exam, and the Optician didn't know what the URN and BOP meant on the form. Any insight on this?

The envelope is sealed already, and after speaking to reception, she said that the doctor is thorough when it comes to filling out forms. Just want to make sure this isn't crucial before I send this all out this week or next.

Thanks!
BOP - Is your Branch Of Prefrence - a diver for example can,t be colour blind hence why relevant .!! The URN is in effect a unit / location code , so it identifies the AFCO you have been via , to for the accounts guys (boots / optician will want paying)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to clarify, UIN is Unit Identification Number for account purposes.

URN is Unique Reference Number which is effectively a candidate number automatically allocated after an application is submitted online. It usually begins with a 20000* * *

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Just to clarify, UIN is Unit Identification Number for account purposes.

URN is Unique Reference Number which is effectively a candidate number automatically allocated after an application is submitted online. It usually begins with a 20000* * *
Cheers , my miss read,,URN on every pack..UIN ,s on the brain.!