Medical Standards for Entry

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The trouble with the stronger varieties of cannabis is that they can trigger bouts of psychosis, which if diagnosed as such, can be an outright bar to entry. Habitual recreational drugs use, without mental health issues can in itself be a knock-back at the medical, so it is important to be clear precisely what is on your medical records and to obtain copies for the medical examiner.

The prescribed medication aspect will have some significance with regard medical suitability for service particularly in respect as to the type of prescribed treatment, the duration of the treatment and the recorded outcome.

If you were prescribed anti-depressants for two months, for example, but only took a few days worth of them, then obviously if you can produce an unused quantity of the prescription, then it will add credibility to the claimed period symptom free.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MyName

MyName New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah thanks ll give it a shot

3. Sway

Sway New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello,
    Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but I'm going to be that guy.
    I've had an orbital blowout in my eye socket and had a metal plate insurted to replace the missing bone.
    It has had no effect to my eye sight but was still surgery, so I was wondering if this will have any effect on my application?
    Thank you for your time.

4. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, I'm not sure on this one.

Either way, the medical examiner will need copies of your medical notes relating to the condition and the surgery. Fingers-crossed it goes your way.

5. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi, I've just applied and I wouldn't consider my medical history as being completely 'clear'. About 4-5 years ago I fractured my wrist, with no complications, literally only 4 weeks in a cast and that was it. About 4 years ago I had lower back pain when sitting down and visited because of this- Had a scan and came up all clear, put down to slight curvature of the spine and had a few physio sessions and that was that. Absolutely no issues now. And finally, About 2 years ago I had this never ending issue with ankle pain when running that never seemed to go away despite large amounts of rest so went because of this. Got recommended insoles but didn't take them and a change of shoe appears to have sorted this long term and I don't really have this issue now.

Obviously only a medical examiner can give a confirmed outcome and apologies if I come across as dumb but I was wondering if it would be worth gaining access to my medical records about this issues and if so how would I go about doing this, I actually asked today at the GP but they said write a letter to someone and drop it off but they weren't really clear about this so not entirely sure where to start.
    Thanks a lot!

6. Ninja_Stoker

You are fully entitled to gain copies of your medical records for yourself, your GP doesn't need a letter if you want a copy for yourself. Trouble is, it may cost but it could well save you a lot of time depending on the administrative efficiency of your GP practice.

Beware just handing-in a dossier of unrelated medical records - they only need the relevant bit. Also bear in mind, no matter what you do, they may still need to write to your GP to check there aren't more recent, omitted records indicating a recurrent (chronic) history.

• Like Like x 1
  7. footballer1993

footballer1993 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Guys,
    Would having Tinea Cruris (jock itch) hinder my application in anyway? It's only a minor case of it, but I'm hoping it's not a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

8. JAMBO2511

JAMBO2511 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Hi guys, I'm currently passed medically fit however going to have an appointment to examine a clicking jaw that I'm getting checked out. I've had it for ages, doesn't hurt and didn't come up as a problem in medical.

If this is needed surgery on, will this affect my medical status? If so for how long and is there a risk of being made PMU?

9. Ninja_Stoker

If you undergo surgery under general anaesthetic it can delay entry depending on the surgery required. The delay is usually three, six or twelve months.

10. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I have this problem, it's often caused by loose cartilage, your body will absorb it, or won't if not all they'll do is inject the void with saline, and then flush it out another hole with more saline, it'll hurt like a bugger, and you won't be able to get it dirty for a week or two, otherwise you should be okay so long as you have about that time prior to your first day, this will be done without anesthetic, by your local GP.

If it's a more serious issue, then that can take more to fix it, that said it can be caused by inflammation via rubbing, which is leave it alone, or anti-inflammatories.

11. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi,

I've passed my RT, and my interview and I'm now waiting to hear back from the triage nurse. My concern is that I had cancer when I was 16 - I had all the necessary treatment and my symptoms had gone after a year. This was over 6 years ago now and I've been given the official all clear. Having read the medical requirements I'm guessing this would come under

I don't have any side effects of treatment and it in no way affects me. I've spoken to my former consultant and he said he'd be able to sign confirming this.

I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to give more insight on this, or does anyone have any experiences of anything that might be similar?