Medical Standards for Entry

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. seabass

seabass New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi everyone

I'm aware this thread is being dragged on a lot but i just wanted to ask to hopefully get some clarity before i begin my application.

So i herniated a disc in my back (L5) sometime last year but only had it formally diagnosed after an MRI in March. Around February, March and some of April the pain was quite bad but now as i strengthen my core, legs and lower back I'm almost pain free and running again. My question is how will an injury like this affect my application? I'm not sure if its anything like shin splints where you need to be 4 years clear (i think) or if its really going to hold up this application and eventually end in disappointment.
    I wasnt able to find anything specific to herniated discs on this forum or other sites.
    Its worth saying I'm studying right now and wont start my application until i've graduated next summer (2018)

Thanks

2. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

PM me and I will get you a response.

CHUB!

3. Seraph

Seraph New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I'm hoping to get some clarity also.

Summer 2014 I received a rather unnecessary drunken kick to the testicles and because of a sudden onset of pain a day later I believed I had testicular torsion. I acted promptly because of various online accounts stating that if you did not act quickly enough it's possible to lose a testicle. So with no hesitation I went to the hospital to receive treatment and after an examination it was proved by the doctor that I did not have testicular torsion and rather the pain was just a result of the swelling formed. But as a precaution he offered me the option to have a Orchiopexy anyway to prevent the possibility of testicular torsion happening further down the line. So I opted for the surgery, had no problems since and the jacobs are in fine working order.

Now I have searched the forum for any possible threads or posts on this subject and unofficially it's been called a bar to entry?! But I can't seem to find any official information on the subject.

Can anyone shed some light?

4. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I couldnt answer but if its not in the medical criteria you can find online (probably on the offical navy site) then youre probably fine or just wait and find out at your face to face medical

5. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

@Seraph
    Morning,

Twisted b○llock is fine including the op but I imagine if it is recent you may require the obligatory 12 week excercise diary that can be applied retrospectively if (as I expect) you have a training plan already in place. I had a candidate who had an issue but didn't want to talk about it (he was only 16) I called the twisted b○llock which made him very red but was an excellent ice breaker for the interview!
    You can join having had testicular cancer if the offending item has been removed so you will be fine.
    I can't give you the definitive as I am holiday in Thailand watching the most amazing storm. It may put off my dive this afternoon though!-banghead-

CHUB!

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    @CHUB!

Hope you don't mind me asking, but can you just briefly explain how the exercise diary works? I've been given a 6 month one to do from the Army (I appreciate your a Naval services careers advisor) and I'm coming to the end of week 3 at the moment. I'm recording all my runs and a hike on the app STRAVA, but I just can't help but think that I could just write out the entire 6 months in the space of half an hour, put my feet up and just wait for the 6 months to pass before sending it off.

Obviously I'm not doing at this at all, but do I need to be doing anything to prove I'm robust enough, because I can't see how in this modern world and all the red tape that prevents people from doing things that writing "no problems" next to all my runs and the hike is enough to prove I'm robust.

7. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

The BR (Book of Reference) is tri service. For the RN you can submit a diary from the last 3 months or 6 months in your case. So if you applied for us then you could submit one now. It doesn't even need to be complex so your STRAVA will be more than enough.
    The best advice I can give is man up and join the Corps although don't bother if you lack a sense of humour, are sensitive and have a sniff of an ego.

Hope this helps?

CHUB!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yep, thank you @CHUB! my mind is at ease now

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Mine too. @CHUB! is a whizz at medical terminology. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Seraph

Seraph New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Afternoon!

Thankyou for the reply @CHUB! much appreciated. It happened in Summer 2014 so it happened over 3 years ago, if my maths is correct! So I assume it would not be considered as recent?

I do have a training plan, I'm currently following the the pre progressive PRMC training program provided by the RN website. Shall I supplement this with a training diary just in case? If so, how would I go about doing this?

I'm currently at the first stage of the application having registered my details on the RM website and I'm waiting for a call back.

I look forward to hearing the definitive and I hope the dive went well.

11. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

When you get the call mention your issue and see what they say. If you don't get the definitive then PM me and I will make the call.
    Yes the fit to apply will be fine but long term I think you should read the latest PRMC diary and look at the training plans on here. Fit to apply is a good place to start but I personally don't think it is good enough to give you the grit and determination to get you through PRMC. @arny01 is your man but don't PM him unless you have discovered an unanswered question (I challenge you!).
    CHUB!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Cheers! :D

• Like Like x 2