Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical Standards for Entry

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Titcch

Titcch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey @CHUB!

Anyway you can give me some information or what you think, please? I've made a thread but never got any replies.

Basically, I was on Anti-Depressants for some time and had counselling. I've stopped both now and no longer have tablets or meetings with my counsellor. I was with a counsellor for roughly just over a year along with the Anti-Depressants. Even though I was given the Anti-Depressants (I told my doctor, that I didn't feel anything from the tablets but he just kept telling me to take it for the set time he gave me.)

Will they full on ban you on entry and never allowed to apply again? Or do they allow the 3-4 year wait, after the course of Anti-Depressants and Counselling sessions has ended? So after those 3-4 years with no recurrence of the issues, you can apply again?

2. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I’ve had jaw surgery to move my bottom jaw forward a tad and have a few metal plates in there.

I’ve seen advice telling me to wait either 6 or 12 months to apply so I’m not really sure on how to proceed and when to put my application in. My surgeon has said the recovery went well and I should be discharged in 6 months.

Any info would be great thanks

3. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Depression broadly is on a case by case basis but the rules are;
    1 case of less than 12 months 2yr wait from completion, 2 case of less than 12 months is 4 yr from last completion. More than 2 or more than 12 months for any one is a bar to entry.
    Self harm dependent on type is 3 yrs.

That is the best I can do....sorry.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

12 months from surgery and following a successful discharge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Thanks Chub I know you can't give personal medical advice but in your experience would that type of surgery be a problem for joining, providing its a successful discharge? In the mean time at least it gives me time to get my fitness up, fingers crossed!

6. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Like what?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As @CHUB!! alludes, it depends on the significance of the condition, type of surgery, length of treatment, severity of condition, likelihood of recurrence and suchlike. A head-swap/transplant can be an issue as can brain surgery, some amputations such as big toe, but not single digits, certain implants such as hips, knees, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction etc., can all be significant (show-stoppers) but other stuff isn't, such as donating a healthy kidney etc. is not always an issue, but the removal of a diseased one can be problematic.

The issue is even outwardly similar procedures can be vastly different. A fractured knee or a break near a joint with plates fitted can be an issue whereas other fractures plates and pins, less of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Titcch

Titcch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks I guess that is a bar to entry for me sadly :( Think it's been 1 year and 3 months, even though I never really needed them and they was just being given to me through like month prescriptions...

I guess it's still worth trying? or not? Guessing an appeal wouldn't do anything if that are the set rules for longer than 12 months if it was to fail

9. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

I quoted your post to SEMC and the response was theirs.

10. Captain_Frog

Captain_Frog New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Its alright I've had a read and obviously every case is different so I'll just have to wait and see next year, just wondered if you or anyone here has heard of people getting into the forces after having the procedure.

11. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

@Captain_Frog

It depends on where the metalwork is sometimes it is more dangerous to remove than keep in situ. If they are saying 12 months, then the jawbone is acceptable with metal in. All dependent on the healing. All I can say on face value it's not a no.

• Like Like x 1
  12. North3rnBoy

North3rnBoy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to offer some insight. I had my medical a while ago now and am just waiting on going down for my POC but within the last few months I seem to have developed a slight allergy to raw apples and peaches (possibly other similar fruits but I'm unaware). If I have them my mouth and throat gets all itchy and tingle but because it's not severe I've not been to see anyone about it.

Curious if anyone was aware of whether 'fruit allergy' in relation to barring means only severe i.e. closing of the throat etc or if my milder version would also count as a bar?
    Also since I'm already passed the medical, is there a requirement for me to inform them or is it up to me?

Thank you in advance to anyone that can offer any help.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Food allergies are a bar to entry, regardless of severity. It's a rather like being a bit pregnant - the thing gets bigger and more significant over time.

The problem with food allergies is the service sources it's food internationally and whilst we may try to cater for certain dietary needs such as kosher, vegetarian, halal, etc., when practical, we cannot guarantee a medically required diet manadated due to food intollerance unfortunately.

It's a condition of entry into the service that any changes in personal circumstances must be notified to your AFCO.

Those joining with a pre-existing but undeclared medical condition can be discharged for making a fraudulent application if it later becomes apparent the information was deliberately withheld to gain entry.

It sounds very forbidding but the simple fact is we have a duty of care and if something untoward happens to the individual, the family will be looking to apportion blame, rest assured.

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Rather than self-diagnosing a clinical condition which you may—or may not have—consider consulting your GP and presenting him or her with the symptoms you have experienced and let your GP deploy his or her many years of professional medical training to assist with achieving a formal clinical diagnosis.

If you walk into your GP's consulting room stating that you think you have an allergy because of your symptoms there is a probability that the word 'allergy' will feature somewhere on your medical notes, even if it's only a record of your own observation. Once it's there the word will be almost impossible to expunge—regardless of subsequent diagnosis—with possible long term career consequences.

Allergic reactions can be life threatening conditions and must be taken seriously. As stated above by @Ninja_Stoker the medical criteria are strict for very sound reasons.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am not a medical professional and I am not suggesting that you attempt to conceal an existing condition. But I am suggesting that you rely upon your own professionally qualified GP rather than on Dr Google to determine what—if any—medical condition you have.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. North3rnBoy

North3rnBoy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @Ninja_Stoker that makes complete sense and I understand the reasoning behind the barring of those with allergies, I was just curious if severity had any weight in decision.

@Chelonian that's a great point. I experienced issues because of a previous two partial dislocations being labelled full dislocations by a different doctor. I'll ensure I'm careful with my wording should I go and see a GP.

Thank you both for your replies.

16. shinyjirachi

shinyjirachi New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I had an accident about 5 years ago and I fractured my spine and pelvis. I get slight back pain sometimes but it doesn’t bother me nor does it cause me any mobility problems. Does anyone know if this would be an issue? I have spoken to someone (not associated with the marines) about this and they said that it could be a problem, but I just want to be sure.

17. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The intense exercise and carrying a fully packed bergan for hours could make your slight back pain a big problem, but you’ll never know unless you give it a go

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Chronic (recurrent) back pain is unfortunately a bar to entry due to the rigours of recruit training and beyond. You need to be a few years clear of any back pain.

Almost all types of spinal fracture are a bar to entry, but not all.

The reference source is JSP 950, Section 4, annex K, paragraphs 29 & 34: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/20160902-jsp-950-part-1-lft-6-7-7-pdf.259822/

19. Butcher&Bolt

Butcher&Bolt New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Ninja,

In reference to musculoskeletal disorders, having fractured my liver lumbar L1 10years ago. I had no surgery, there is no sciatic pain, no discomfort in mobility, no discomfort in load bearing walks. I am aware that this would still raise eyebrows, but would a spinal fracture immediately put me at a graded p8 declared medically unfit?

Thanks!

20. kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hello, just a quick one.

I'm curious as to whether single non regular use of an inhaler is a 4 year bar to entry or a 5 year bar?

I always thought it was 4 years and it's 3 years and 9 months since I was given one by my GP who hands them our like sweets.

Read somewhere that it's 5 years now?

Many thanks.