Medical Standards for Entry

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

If you are not in a rush, you can self refer to an NHS physio nowadays, no need to see your GP first. Talk to your local surgery or check out their web-site and the details will probably be on there, saves shelling out £30 odd a session for private.

2. Rmcnmb

Rmcnmb New Member

At the start of RT do you get a medical and if so how in depth is it?

3. Jack98

Jack98 New Member

With regards to pancreatitis does it mean from alcohol abuse and a permanent problem or from say gall stones but the problem is fixed? Cheers.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Not sure on that one, it's one that only the medical examiner can determine once in possession of the full history. Suffice to say, it is likely to be an issue, whatever the cause unfortunately. But, at the same time, if you don't apply, you'll never know.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TJT

TJT New Member

I had a accident with my left eye about 4 year ago and had to have eye drops and stuff, but now my vision is completely fine and can see good out off both eyes so i should be fine?

6. Jack98

Jack98 New Member

Definitely won't stop me from giving it a go, hopefully everything will go in my favour. Thanks Ninja.

7. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Can't find anything on this so thought I'd join and ask. I think I might have nasal polyps/chronic sinusitis after a quick internet diagnosis - for the last few years or so, I've sort of felt like I've been breathing through a filter in my nose, and the sinus behind my nose (maxillary I think) is always blocked and I have to clear it, it doesn't exactly affect my breathing too much, it's really just a bit of an annoyance, and I can still breathe through my nose, just not as quickly as mouth breathing.

My question is, if I go to the doctors about it and it is nasal polyps etc., is that a permanent bar from entry or can I still join if I have successful treatment for it after a certain amount of time?

8. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Could also possibly be a deviated septum that is causing me problems as my nose is a bit crooked, would this count as a nasal deformity and be a bar also, regardless of whether it was fixed? Sorry for all the questions.

9. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Check out post number 2 of this thread mate. It's listed. Doesn't look good from what I've seen :( but don't take my word for it the only way you'll know for sure is if you apply. Best of luck mate i really hope it doesnt affect you!

10. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yeah I know, I mean if I had successful treatment, would it still be a permanent bar or could I join after a certain amount of time has passed after the treatment.

11. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello all, 1st time posting on the site, apologies if asked, but I was looking at Medical entry Requirements on the Navy website, and its stated ongoing psychological disorders would be barring , Understandable to note, Just wondered I had a minor episode of Depression 18 months ago, due to my mum passing away, because I'm 18 months cleared would this still constitute a Barr ?

12. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

Sorry to here of your loss. Suggest go and talk to your local afco. You could be on your way down the applicant route sooner than you think!
    Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Sorry to hear of your loss. Having been in your situation myself at the age of 30, I can fully understand.

This thread has some useful links: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/...ous-in-relation-to-bereavement-read-on.73531/

• Like Like x 1
  14. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Appreciated Ninja and Old Lynx

Thanks guys

15. CH3353C4K3

CH3353C4K3 New Member

I have bronchiectasis, however I do not feel it impedes my physical ability. If I were to prove this in the entrance tests would I be able to join the Royal Marines.

16. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Whilst the only definitive answer you'll get is from a medical examiner a few things to take into account.

Do you take any medication etc?

Whilst it may not affect you in exercise. How would it be affected by something such as a gas attack? Bear in mind you are subjected to gas in training as far as I understand it.

Geek

17. CH3353C4K3

CH3353C4K3 New Member

Thanks for the quick response, I guess I'll just see what the medical examiner says. I'm not going to apply for at least 2 years as I want to complete education first.

Thanks for the help.

18. CH3353C4K3

CH3353C4K3 New Member

Note: I have taken no medication for around 5 years.

19. TheGeek

TheGeek Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Well good luck mate, hope all goes well for you. I only have a very cursory understanding of what it is hence the specific questions to consider.

But I wish you luck man.

Geek

20. Kendodsworth1

Kendodsworth1 New Member

When you attend your medical is it wise to get all your past medical records off your GP to save the hassle of coning back invade the medical doctor ask for more info....would you also get told there and then if you've passed if you have the records on you?