Medical Standards for Entry

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kendodsworth1

Kendodsworth1 New Member

Sorry for the grammar

2. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    It may help you to have records ready so you know what is going to be pulled up, and you can correct any mistakes with your doctor...

If you cant afford a copy of your full med records there is also something called a Significant Medical Record which list all major events with description and dates, also If the event is resolved or not depending on how good your doctor is at admin, the significant health record is also known as significant medical history and its free

3. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service

4. Loc

Loc New Member

Hello, I know this thread hasn't been active in a while but I am hoping someone can help me with an issue that's been bothering me about my medical history.

When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Hiatus Hernia, it's so small the NHS decided it will not cause me any more problems than the occasional episodes of heartburn (which are very rare and never effect me other than a few seconds of small pain). So it was never removed. It was treated with prescription medicine that i no longer take considering how little effect this hiatus hernia has on my life. I was wondering if this would result in disqualification or not?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5. G & G

G & G Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I'll tag @Ninja_Stoker for you, he'll be able to help. Good luck.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The medical standards for entry will hopefully provide some guidance on this issue: http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/148205/

As a Careers Adviser we are unfortunately unable to give definitive medical advice other than to say it must be declared and you should take a full copy of your medical notes relating to this condition to the medical examination so the medical examiner can give you a fast & accurate decision.

Good luck.

7. 12Will12

12Will12 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm having a Mole removed off my back in a few weeks. Do I have to be a year clear of it when I go for my medical or is it not classed as "Surgery" because its such a small op.

8. Ninja_Stoker

My guess is that it would be considered minor under normal circumstances & as long as it's healed without complications, it would be unlikely to delay entry.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 12Will12

12Will12 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
  10. Yazoo

Yazoo New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    A few months back I closed my marines application as I was thought to have chronic kidney disease by the NHS. In recent light, they believe that it is just kidney damage sustained whilst receiving treatment for bronchitis as a newborn. As a result I have reduced kidney function but my kidneys are not diseased nor am I receiving medication for them. Does this mean that I would still be able to join the RM as going by the eligibility criteria I believe I can? Any help anyone?

11. Ninja_Stoker

I'd imagine it depends on the degree to which their functionality is degraded and whether "chronic" means you are likely to have recurrent issues.

A person donating a kidney can still join, six months after the operation providing the remaining one is healthy & fully functional.

12. Kallurax

Kallurax New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi, I don't know where this question should be, but you mentioned wye sight so hear goes, I am meant to wear glasses but I don't, I can see perfectly fine without them, let's say I made it to RT, would I have to wear them or not? Thanks in advance

13. Ninja_Stoker

If you can map read, navigate & fire a weapon without glasses, then not a problem. You only need wear them when needed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

If there a max BMI for the RM, on the medical standards it says RN applicants must be within a healthy BMI range, I'm guessing leaving out the RM isn't a mistake? And as long as it is lean muscle adding the weight you are ok? Sorry if it's already been asked.

15. mikey123

mikey123 Member

apparently anything over 27 is a fail, I'm 6 foot and 89 kg and passed, they will use common sense if you have a stocky muscular frame, its at the medical examiners discretion really

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mitchr

Mitchr New Member

I use a cream that stops me getting red / irritated skin on my face / small spots, it's not that bad just for a 23 year old and for my job I prefer to look professional rather than blotchy, and I think the cream is used for acne in most cases. Do I need to stop using it for a year for me to pass medical?

17. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Is it on your medical records?

18. Ninja_Stoker

If it is "over the counter" and self-medicated it's not a problem but if it is prescription medication then you will need to be clear of it by a set period.

If it's prescribed for acne, you usually need to be about 3 months clear of prescriptions, if it is prescribed as an eczema treatment, you need to be two years clear.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mitchr

Mitchr New Member

yea it's on my medical records, its a prescription - good god I hope it is classed as acne treatment.. I'll find out.

20. Mitchr

Mitchr New Member

It's subscribed for mild to moderate acne, so i guess i'm ok if i stop using it 3 months before i apply?