Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Medical Standstill because GP and Capita are at stalemates

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by thirdtry, Jun 5, 2020.

1. thirdtry

thirdtry Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Getting extremely frustrated.

Despite passing RM medical in the past, on my new application I was made TMU 6 weeks ago whilst Capita chased up on childhood asthma info.

I have been chasing my GP twice per week every week since but been hitting a brick wall -banghead- it's at the point the receptionist sighs and repeats the same story, until I had the full explanation yesterday.

The GPs at my surgery are refusing to do the paperwork (4 yes/no questions on a single side of A4!) until they receive advance payment. Nothing to do with COVID busyness, the receptionist told me "this is something they do in their own time and they don't want to provide a personalised service without guaranteed payment up front".

However, Capita's policy is that they don't pay in advance. They pay at 40 days after receiving the docs.

Is there any way I can possibly break this stalemate? I have already offered the surgery that I will pay for it myself but they've told me that, because it is actually a request for services from a business (Capita) and not from me, that they wouldn't do this.

Thank you

2. Faugery

Faugery Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Perhaps you could reword your offer as a down payment or deposit so the report can be completed and then refunded when Capita pay after receiving it? Good luck!

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

GP surgeries exist to provide primary health care, not to process or expedite job applications. Everything other than provision of primary health care is relegated.

One of my jobs requires extraction of information from GP surgeries. My experience is that charm, wit and understanding can make a significant difference to the speed with which admin jobs are done.

Consider speaking again with the receptionist and acknowledging that the GP surgery has far more important priorities than your career aspiration. Tell them about yourself and the job you are applying for. People in face-to-face jobs generally make more of an effort for those who appear considerate and demonstrate empathy.

If you feel that you might have been brusque with the receptionist consider taking in a packet of quality biscuits as a peace offering. Bribery is an ugly word but you get my drift? ;)

Once you have reset your relationship with the reception staff inquire if you might leave a deposit (a cheque, perhaps) to guarantee payment until Capita stumps up as suggested by @Faugery

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Unfortunately the biscuits were a tried method in week 2 and I've been hugely pleasant the entire time. Goes without saying that I've shown empathy with the current crisis, but early on the receptionist told me they're currently only running at 1/3 usual busyness because almost nobody is booking appointments (when they initially told me it "shouldn't be a problem").

At this stage I'm starting to understand why they got Inadequate in every category on their last CQC Report.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ouch! :eek: Every category? I'd shift to another GP practice. It shouldn't be difficult for a young, healthy person to be accepted onto another practice's list.

For anyone unaware of CQC ratings:

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 09.45.55.png

6. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I'm not sure how many categories there are that CQC can choose from but this was in the 4 categories they were last assessed against. Just something I came across whilst trawling the website looking for options. In this case not too worried about changing surgeries because this would potentially trigger the long delay as they transfer medical notes over, book initial check-ups etc, all before (hopefully) starting at CTC where med bay become your registered practice from what I remember last time.

One of the big issues lies in that the GP I've grown up with, who did this same paperwork in about 3 days last time, recently retired. So rather than be passed onto another GP the receptionists are currently 'holding it hostage' so to speak until they settle the payment conflict. One thing they did say is that it hasn't been forwarded to a GP yet.

Down payment idea is a good one, I'll speak to them again shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aerial

Aerial Active Member

I didn't have the same issue, but when Capita requested my documents for my own interest I submitted a request privately for my own records (which presumably must be fullfilled by GP practices at their own cost).

If they won't accept a cheque deposit and you want to be a bit cheeky, maybe you could do the same and point out they since they have to dig out your records anyway they might as well kill two birds with one stone and deal with the Capita request at the same time.

On a side note, when I did see my own records they amusingly also included all the notes made during my triage call since these had been forwarded to the surgery in the request for records from Capita.

8. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    This is a good shout and is what I did as well - got the documents I needed back the same day at no charge.

Fully appreciate that not all GP practices are as helpful as others though! Good luck.

9. thirdtry

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Update:

Well just 12 hours after starting this thread about something that's been going on for weeks, spoke to the surgery just now and they've just received payment this morning (seems they negotiated advance payment after all) so they are doing it today and sending it off.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Aerial

Aerial Active Member

The time and money cost of them negotiating this is probably more than the value of the payment, but a good outcome for you. One less hurdle!

• Like Like x 1