Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Medical/training injuries

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Soap_TNDO, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Afternoon chaps,

I have a few questions about the medical and injuries that I am hoping some of you will be able to help with. Hopefully this is the right place to ask them, feel free to tell me otherwise.

1) As a child, I was told I had a ventricular ectopic heart beat. I was told that is may go in its own time and that provided I am asymptomatic, I will not have any issues. This was many years ago and I have never had symptoms, therefore have never had the need for a review or to have it checked so I am completely unaware if it is still present or not. My question is, if it comes up in my medical history but it is evident it is no longer present, would it be an issue? Alternatively, If it comes up in my medical history and is still present, would that be an issue? Considering I am and always have been asymptomatic.

2) I have had terrible teeth since I was a child and made the decision to have dental crowns fitted. The procedure is taking place March 2020. I am planning to begin my application process Jan 2020. Will this impact my application (excluded the factors of it conflicting with interview/assessment dates etc)?

3) I have seen a few threads on shin splits, which I am making the most of and going through gradually. My cardiovascular fitness is my biggest downfall so the running part is what I need to focus on. My question is, with the right exercises and treatment etc, how long should I expect it to take to prevent getting them in the future?

Any advise is appreciated and I look forward to hearing from some of you.

All the best.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome.

If your heart condition is just a benign murmour or extra beat it should not be an issue however they may well ask for a recent ECG print to demonstrate it's not significant. This is something you should consider before starting your application to save unnecessary delays - speak to your GP, see what they advise.

If you are undergoing ongoing dental treatment, it's not often a problem although braces can stall an application. Ideally you should get your teeth sorted before starting recruit training as multiple dental appointments can be a hindrance in training when trying to keep with the beat durining training.

Just follow the advice with regards shin splints. Check your running gait to see if that's the cause, make sure you are using newish, well cushioned trainers (heels especially), don't run in boots before joining and if you get shin-splints - rest them and crack-on with non-inpact cv (swims, rowing & cycling, in particular).

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the prompt response, all advice taken on board.

As for the heart condition, I was thinking this however I saw on the medical spec 'abnormalities in heart rhythm' would be a problem which lead to some concern. I'll book in with the GP and get an ECG done so that I can provide all necessary information at the medical.

It's not ongoing dental treatment, it is just a matter of having crowns fitted to some teeth (only cosmetic). I was just unsure if it would result in a delay, as I saw that some cosmetic treatments, such as laser eye surgery would result in a 12 month delay after surgery. Thought it may have a similar rule.

Thanks again Ninja, much appreciated.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

No worries. Appreciate you're not undergoing laser eye surgery, but whilst the outcome can be aesthetically more satisfying than wearing glasses for some people, it isn't considered cosmetic surgery, hence the 12 months.

• Like Like x 1