Medical triage call concern

rmcanfau

Reaction score
Hello, this particular question is directed towards @Ninja_Stoker and @The guide or anyone else well versed in the medical section process.

I have currently sent my medical forms of to capita and waiting a medical triage call, and in preparation I have been reading and re reading the JSP 950 6-7-7 leaflet in witch it Apply’s a p8 grade to any -SPINAL FRACTURES-
Earlier this year I stupidly gave myself an acute stress fracture aka hairline fracture in the sacrum (not a vertebrate of the spine a bone within the pelvis but connected to spine) pain went away in about 2-3 days and I went back to full activity within 2 weeks (I started a training diary soon after)
I was jsut writing to ask wether this would or could be classed as a fracture worthy of a p8 grading or a “stress fracture” that could is granted a p2 grading if fully healed.
Thank you so much for what you guys do for all of us with a dream to be a royal marine.

rmcanfau

Reaction score
The reason I am so confused and anxious is that

if my injury was anywhere else on my body(other than neck) It would be classed as p2 and if the JSP it does not say anything about stress fracture of sacrum or spine (witch may or may not be classed as the spine depending on what doctor I ask) .

and thefore I’m worried it could be classed as an outright fracture (even though the bone stayed together the whole time there was just a small crack)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Difficult to call, to be honest.

If different Doctors are stating a different diagnosis then the only way to be certain is by submitting details of the fracture together with the medical questionnaire (ie xray or scan) to enable the Service Entry Medical Cell to determine the classification and subsequent medical suitability.

Not a great answer unfortunately, but pretty sure you'll need to be a decent period post recovery and a training diary over 3+ months would help to demonstrate the injury has not recurred.

As a matter of interest, how did it happen?

rmcanfau

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response ninja,
1) I have already sent of the medical questionnaire (from Australia) and didnt think to attach the imaging at the time, is it too late or can I send later on or after triage call?

2) I got the fracture from idiotically performing a deadlift that was too heavy and too poor form.

rmcanfau

Reaction score
I’m Addition, as of right now it has been over 3.5 months since the injury and I have logged some pretty intense workouts in my diary, and I am also getting an mri to show the Injury is healed and that it was a one time thing.

the 1 doctor has given me a clear diagnosis of what the injury is ( a stress fracture of the sacrum) but he is unsure wether it would be classed as spinal fracture by the triage nurse and is confident it cannot be classed as a serious spinal Injury.

Just due to the ambiguity of the JSP standards cannot give me a clear idea what the triage nurse would class it as being. My GP said if he was to be contacted he would happily confirm that it is a non serious injury that would not interfere with vigorous physical activity when fully healed.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The odds are you'll be made Temporarily Medically Unfit at triage until the relevant medical evidence and supporting evidence is provided.

Worst case scenario is they will declare you unfit, which will then mean a medical appeal will be required.

The tip is to provide everything upfront rather than drip feed it as the default setting, with insufficient info is 'medically unfit'.