medical

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
(Taken from the RN eligibility notes)
Drug and Substance Misuse

The short, medium and long-term effects of the misuse of either illegal drugs or substances or legally obtained drugs or substances can have a damaging impact on mental and physical fitness and health. Drug or Substance misuse constitutes a direct threat to the operational effectiveness of the Armed Forces; the security and safety of Service personnel; and, potentially, the security and safety of the civilians whom they protect. Illegal misuse of drugs or substances by Service personnel also damages the reputation and standing of the Service. For all of these reasons, the misuse of drugs or substances is not tolerated within the Naval Service. The Naval Service recognise, however, that drug or substance misuse is increasingly common in civilian life, particularly among the young, and that you may have misused drugs or substances yourself in the past. This will not necessarily prevent you from joining, as all applications are considered individually. Acceptance into the Services will depend on the frequency of use and the class and type of drug or substance that has been misused. Criminal convictions for trafficking or supply of any class of drug or substance will bar entry.

Once you have joined the Naval Service, you are required to stay clear of drugs or substances at all times and also to avoid association with drug or substance misuse and suppliers. Once you have been enlisted, you will be liable by law to random compulsory drug testing throughout your Service career. If these tests show that you have misused drugs or substances, it is Armed Forces policy that, with very few exceptions, you will be discharged.

The short answer is, there’s a zero tolerance policy to drugs and drug use, don’t be an idiot and think you’ll get away with it because you definitely won’t.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I believe I remember reading on here that the first compulsory drug test is at the start of RT, there isn’t one at the medical.

Chelonian

Reaction score
what is the urine test in the medical for?

My assumption is that the sample will be examined for numerous basic markers, including kidney function.

The mention of urine tests often causes a minor flap on the forum. Can't imagine why. :confused:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As stated above, the compulsory drugs tests commence once you enter training.

A positive result is instant dismissal. Re-entry into the Naval service thereafter is not possible.

Anyone dabbling with recreational drugs prior to entry needs to be between six to twelve months clear before entering recruit training or your career will be considerably shorter than imagined.

westham12

Reaction score
As stated above, the compulsory drugs tests commence once you enter training.

A positive result is instant dismissal. Re-entry into the Naval service thereafter is not possible.

Anyone dabbling with recreational drugs prior to entry needs to be between six to twelve months clear before entering recruit training or your career will be considerably shorter than imagined.
so they dont drug test recruits in the medical?

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

If you’re serious about your application then you should be staying clear of them. A couple of years back I went down the dark path and I completely regret it now. However once my application started it was a new part of my life and it meant the world to me. I haven’t touched or gone near any illegal substances in over 2 years.

It’s not worth the risks no matter what all your friends tell you. You need to make sure you see the bigger picture and step up and not let yourself step down to their level.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Trouble is, if I were to suggest they don't test for drugs during the application process, true or otherwise, there would inevitably be boneheads applying who thought it worth the risk commencing an application before cessation of recreational drugs abuse.

Those needing to ask, put simply, they are not yet ready to consider applying.

Bide time rather than prematurely enter into something beyond the current state of individual mental maturity.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
yorks71 Medical forms Parents & Partners 3
B Medical Question General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 4
D Medical General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 4