Medical

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well.

I've been back home for a while.

But I thought i'd share with what's going on. I didn't officially pass the medical. But I failed on something that can be fixed with olive oil and a quick visit to the doctors on Monday.

Basically. I have a tiny bit of wax in my right ear. The doctor couldn't see the part he needed to see. *text deleted*ing embarrassing but wax happens to everyone!

So I should be able to get my medical cleared away next week; and get my PJFT underway!

Oh, and I found out I'm slightly colour blind as well. But it didn't cause any problems.

Jamie

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Unlucky Jamie, the medical is the most worrying part as it is something with very little control over the outcome.

Hopefully it will all get sorted asap.

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Earwax is certainly no big deal usually & surprisingly common, together with the need for dental treatment.

Hopefully you'll be sorted shortly & good luck for the rest of it!

Mikey

Reaction score
Bloody ear wax... when I was 16 I had a lump of wax in my right ear so big it nearly blocked my entire ear canal. After trying to remove it with cotton buds and various metal implements that a sane person wouldn't put anywhere near their ears, I go to the local chemist for advice. He sells me a titchy bottle of Otex(at a healthy profit I might add), the contents of which get dumped in my ear en masse. So, after ten minutes of head tiltiness and a tentative probe with a cotton bud, i decide it's ready for extraction. Unfortunately my plan went tits up when the cotton bud just mushed up the wax and mixed it with the otex solution that turned it into a sludgy hell that clogged up my ears making me quite literally half deaf for a week until I could see the nurse at my local GP surgery to get the bastard thing syringed. So, from this I can offer you two pieces of hard earned advice:

1) Heat up the olive oil to lukewarm. Improves the effciency of the oil penetrating the wax.

2) Don't stick a cotton bud in there after you've put the oil in unless you too wish to experience the delights of 'Gunk Ear'.

Finally, good luck with your next medical :)

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. I was recommended by the RM doctor to clean it with olive oil and not with cotton buds.

When you use the buds, it pushes all the wax into the ear, thus becoming more blocked.

Plus, if you listen to an ipod, mp3 player of any type, loud music or just anything loud. They tend to have a more dramatic build up, because the ear protects itself, so if something is too loud, it will produce more wax just to stop complete hearing loss.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have an appointment with the doctor tonight at 5pm! Hopefully they'll get me sorted and I can go ahead and make my appointment with the RM doctor and get my formed signed off.

I am hoping to god that they can fit me in on Thursday and then I can finally do my PJFT and book PRMC. might be an exciting week.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
wow that woulda pissed me off *text deleted*. i remeber the lady lookign in my ear going HMMMM youve got alot of ear wax but your hearing is perfectly fine nd that was it. if she said go get it fixed then come back to me i would of died on the train home *text deleted* as it costs me 30 quid to get up there *text deleted*

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's not that it was affecting my hearing. The doctor couldn't see the middle ear membrane, apparently. He could see it on my left ear, but not the right.

I would be more angry if the AFCO was miles away, but its only a few minutes to the train station, about 20 minutes by train, the AFCO is right next to the train station, score!

Fingers crossed.