Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.
  1. Bigbro

Bigbro New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hello. I'm applying from a commonwealth nation, specificaly Nigeria. I've been assigned a recruiter, I'm yet to be sent any document to fill. I'd like to ask, can the loss of a the ring finger disqualify me? And will the medical form for commonwealth applicant be any different to those who are UK citizens?

2. Major_Disaster

Major_Disaster New Member

Yes.

No.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

A quick check of JSP950 states :

Fingers and hands
    13. Loss of part or all of any finger of either hand will be graded according to residual function. The ability to wear protective gloves, including Chemical Biological Radiation and Nuclear Personal Protection Equipment, and operate a weapon system is important as well as dexterity in relation to their Career Employment Group (CEG). Individuals may be graded P2 MFD providing they can maintain full function, good grip strength, and have adequate sensation to maintain safety. Partial loss of the thumb should be graded according to function although complete loss is normally graded P7 MND.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up and it’s important to manage your expectations.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Bigbro

Bigbro New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks for the reply. However actually, it's on the left hand, it's not like the ring finger has been severed off, it's still there just slightly shorter than normal and I can't fold it fully like the remaining fingers, reason being that I sustained an injury when I was 5 and I had to do a surgery on that finger Alone, this was 19 years ago and ever since then everything is fine and have not being to the doc for any issue concerning that. Do I need to get any certification letter and an x-ray scan from my doc as supporting evidence that it's fine?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The issues for missing digits are the ability to do the job, ie: manual dexterity and the ability to use opposable thumbs.

I know of a RM Mountain Leader who had a missing index finger, for example.

As long as you can fire weapons, climb ropes, operate unmodified kit, and service kit without issue, it is usually OK...providing the affected finger has fully functioning nerves and doesn't increase the risk of NFCI in cold weather conditions.

The personal weapon is the SA80 and is fired right-handed only.

Generally it's worth sending copies of your medical records relating to the issue together with your completed medical questionnaire when you reach that stage.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. Bigbro

Bigbro New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted

Thanks for the kind response, if I may ask, is there anyway I can speed up the process, maybe someone I can contact at the recruiting office, I've been assigned a recruiter tho but he hasn't contacted me yet, and I haven't been sent any document yet to fill

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Most communication should be through the recruiting portal - in fact, check to see if they have tried to contact you or sent any requests for information.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bigbro

Bigbro New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Alright it's six weeks now and I haven't received any medical documents or any form whatsoever to fill, although I called my recruiter of late of which he picked we discussed on certain things like how long it will take altogether, and he said he isn't my assigned recruiter per se, probably standing in gap for the real guy. Anyways I checked my portal today and I saw that my assigned recruiter has been changed to someone else. Is this normal? I'd call the new guy today hopefully things get ironed out. I'm really anxious at this point.