Medical

wr11

Reaction score
Hi everyone i have a question. Which I probably know the answer too but I thought it wouldn't harm of I asked it on here. I had a left knee partial meniscectomy would this automatically bar me from applying?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
003D476F-4E6D-4BD4-A18F-B785AA34443A.jpeg

Above is a quote from the JSP 950 ( the document that details the medical criteria for entry)

Hope this helps and perhaps the @The guide can assist if he spots this.

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
dx
Hi everyone i have a question. Which I probably know the answer too but I thought it wouldn't harm of I asked it on here. I had a left knee partial meniscectomy would this automatically bar me from applying?
I had surgery and waited 12 months; the time flies by. Make sure you use the time wisely to learn new skills, revise corp knowledge, strengthen other areas. Dont wrap on yourself or you'll find it harder in the long run

wr11

Reaction score
Hi fin thank you for the reply. Im actually 12 months post operation. Cycling regularly and I have a gym plan to strengthen muscles that support my knee.

Did you have an operation before you started training?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@wr11 The takeaway from the above reply form @Johnny_Anonie is about the phys side of it - you need a 3-month training diary to prove the comparable training - if you have this and there are no other issues aside fom what you have stated you should be graded L2 - (which translates to you are fit in locomotion)

The rule book definition of comparable is as follows:

a. Running 30 –40 minutes a minimum of 3 x weekly. b. Hill walking with 10 kg load (backpack) for 90 –120 minutes (6 –8 miles) weekly - as a minimum.

Hope that helps

wr11

Reaction score
Hi the guide

Thank you for your reply. Yes I understand that . I've recently been completing the Pre-Joining Fitness Test . I've currently completed week 2 session 3. Is basically a kept record to show i have no issue with the knee after rigorous exercising?

wr11

Reaction score
Hi the guide

Another quick question i am on the older scale for the age limit. I am 28 and will be 29 in February next year. Obviously the age limit is 33 . Is it realistic for someone to pass at my age. I feel like with my life experience and maturity level. The mental strength would be there. What I'm basically asking is it a young mens game?

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Did you have an operation before you started training?

I had a faciotomy in both legs before applying. Couldnt walk uphill or even squat down at the time because of the pain but the surgery squared me away and was the best thing that happened to me at the time.
I had to write a 3 month plan for the medical as Johnny Anonie eluded to, so I assume you will have to do the same.

What I'm basically asking is it a young mens game?
I know a bunch of lads fowards the end of training who are pushing the older age bracket 28-32yrs and I can assure you it's possible. Just remember you'll be entering at the same point and same level as 17/18 year olds so youll have to potentially deal with some less mature people

'Is it realistic for someone to pass at my age' obviously it is or they wouldn't have the age limit at that number ;):D

Last edited:

wr11

Reaction score
Hi fine
Thank you for the reply. Glad your operation went well . Ok cheers ill start writing one. What do I have to include in this plan other than how I have exercised?

Ok thats good to know. I've been watching some videos on YouTube and most of the lads seem quite young who pass out.

I'll deal with that in my line of work sometimes. I can imagine what it would be like haha.