Medically Unfit

Mindthegap56

Reaction score
Just recieved a letter saying i've been made medically unfit due to low mood and alcohol issues in 2015 and that I should wait at least three years, I haven't touched the drink in four months now, just wondering if anyone could give some advice on how to appeal as my afco isn't picking up or returning my calls.

Cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the circumstances.

If the low mood was treated for a prolonged period (in excess of 12 months) then unfortunately is not an appealable condition. In addition, if there was more than one incident of self-harm, that in itself is unfortunately an outright bar and non-appealable.

The alcohol aspect depends on the individual circumstances but if things came to a head in 2015 and have only recently been addressed, it could well be the case that the condition is deemed chronic (long term and/or recurrent).

The rough rule of thumb for mental health issues is the individual needs to be free from treatment (medication/counselling) for a period in excess of three years before they can re-apply, with evidence of the three years free from treatment. The period required "treatment free" is to confirm the condition is resolved as best possible and unlikely to recur - in the case of alcohol and low-mood, the period of rehabilitation cannnot usually be appealed as it is a non-negotiable mandated period.

Generally to appeal, in cases such as this, there has to be qualified medical evidence of an incorrect diagnosis or a mis-diagnosis and treatment.

Mindthegap56

Reaction score
Cheers for the quick reply ninja and clearing up some things for me, I've never received any form of treatment or counselling, and only one form of self harm in 2013 as I was young and stupid essentially. Do you think I've got a chance with the appeal?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Cheers for the quick reply ninja and clearing up some things for me, I've never received any form of treatment or counselling, and only one form of self harm in 2013 as I was young and stupid essentially. Do you think I've got a chance with the appeal?
As long as you have medical evidence showing you are completely treatment free from the initial issues, then I reckon you have a fair chance of appealing.

all you need do is obtain a copy of your medical records covering the issues specifically detailed and a letter from you GP to confiirm that since dd/mm/yyyy and the present day there have been no further incidences and you have remained completely symptom & treatment -free.

Good luck.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the circumstances.

If the low mood was treated for a prolonged period (in excess of 12 months) then unfortunately is not an appealable condition. In addition, if there was more than one incident of self-harm, that in itself is unfortunately an outright bar and non-appealable.

The alcohol aspect depends on the individual circumstances but if things came to a head in 2015 and have only recently been addressed, it could well be the case that the condition is deemed chronic (long term and/or recurrent).

The rough rule of thumb for mental health issues is the individual needs to be free from treatment (medication/counselling) for a period in excess of three years before they can re-apply, with evidence of the three years free from treatment. The period required "treatment free" is to confirm the condition is resolved as best possible and unlikely to recur - in the case of alcohol and low-mood, the period of rehabilitation cannnot usually be appealed as it is a non-negotiable mandated period.

Generally to appeal, in cases such as this, there has to be qualified medical evidence of an incorrect diagnosis or a mis-diagnosis and treatment.

@Ninja_Stoker @CHUB! if I can prove via my GP that my low mood was a direct result of taking a tablet to give up smoking that’s known to cause depression, anxiety and aggressive behaviour and that I wasn’t actually depressed for 12 months but for the duration I was on this medication, do you think I stand a good chance of appeal?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker @CHUB! if I can prove via my GP that my low mood was a direct result of taking a tablet to give up smoking that’s known to cause depression, anxiety and aggressive behaviour and that I wasn’t actually depressed for 12 months but for the duration I was on this medication, do you think I stand a good chance of appeal?
I would definitely encourage you to gain all the evidence available prior to submitting an appeal, so that a quick decision can be made.

The issue is most likely going to be the duration of the treatment but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck, let is know how it goes.

Thechancer

Reaction score
I’m just piggy backing this thread instead of creating a new one

@Ninja_Stoker who would be the best person to speak to about the medical, as I had a condition due to my weight. I’ve seen a speacailest and they are not concerned about it what so ever and have told me, if I loose weight it will go away,
Oh I was 16st and classes medically obese,
11 weeks on I’m now 27.8 bmi and running bfts in good time

CHUB!

Careers Adviser
Reaction score
PM myself or @Ninja_Stoker with details or feel free to discuss if you want to on the forum. Most cases can be answered by ourselves or with a quick telephone call.