Medicals whilst IN the service for courses etc.

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Hyperhippo, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:48 AM.

1. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi all, have been wanting to ask this for a while now so here goes...

Could someone shed some light on the medical process to get onto courses whilst in a service please. I know there’s different medical standards for those joining and those who are in but would there be any trouble if you’ve been held back at the medical at the joining stage?

Using myself as an example, I have a 6 month deferral period before I can potentially pass the joining medical. Say I pass it, and go onto pass out of training etc. X amount of time later I decide to do a course that’s physically demanding, will there likely be any reason to not pass the medical bearing in mind at this point I would have passed training and have already been in for a number of months/Years.

I know the needs of the service comes before the wants of the individual but I don’t want a spot of bad luck I experienced just after I left school at 16 to dictate a potential 22 year career and my ambitions. I’m 20 this year and I’m coming to the end of my deferral period, I’m not worried as such but I’d like to be aware of any hiccups I might face as early as possible.

Cheers

2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    If you eventually pass the medical requirements to start RT you can fairly sure you will not be held back once you have started your career for pre-existing medical conditions. There are a few courses that require higher or different med standards such as diver or pilot but other than that, career courses do not require a higher med category than RT. Most pre-course medicals involve a quick once over similar to a routine GP check up

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for that! :D

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

In most cases the relevant branch manager will check you meet the relevant eligibility criteria first by stipulating the branch medical parameters to the unit medical officer and a check of your records will usually indicate yes/no.

For example, if you want to be a sniper and your eyesight is already recorded as outside the branch parameters, you'll be told at the time of applying as eyesight is not likely to improve by itself.

If there's an area that needs checking, your unit med centre will conduct the medical.

For SQ/TQs that require a specific medical examination, such as UKSF, again your unit will arrange the medical. For those on detached duty away from a Commando unit, sometimes the AFCO medical examiner may be used.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

To add to Ninja,s post - Once in service (any branch of the military) pretty much all courses now have a JMES requirement (joint medical employment standard) which is either published in something called a DIN (instructions for that course) or on actual joining instruction and as @dodgyknees has stated most times it,s simply a visit to the medical centre and they will check your current JMES and sign off the paperwork , with some courses requiring a actual Dr,s signature , so you simply leave the paperwork and pick up a few days later - most medicals guys may rwquire are called - Arduous Training Medical - this covers things like SF and so on and a few other specific courses , diving is slightly different , and lastly all medicals have a validity date so SF being a prime one you have to be in date and checked within a year or repeat the medicals , same applies with most branch changes also.

• Seen Seen x 1