Meet the Marines - Altcar 17-19 June 2014

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Groups from sports teams and sixth form colleges are invited to attend an interactive one day "Meet The Marines" event on either Tuesday 17th , Wednesday 18th or Thursday 19th June 2014. The Royal Marine Commandos from the Commando Display Team will run a whole range of free activities including abseiling, wall climbing, weapons handling, paintballing and survival instruction, along with a variety other physical challenges aimed at highlighting some of the career opportunities offered.

The total number of places available for each individual sports clubs (football teams, rugby teams, boxing clubs, MMA clubs etc) is 40 per group. Places are at a premium so it is important places requested are allocated as accurately as possible to ensure maximum attendance. Minimum age is 15

The venue is Altcar Training Camp, Grange Road, Liverpool L38 7JE and all groups attending must arrive by 08:45 on the day and are offered a place on the understanding that the event will not complete before 17:00. Group leaders must have an accurate nominal list of attendees. There is free parking for minibuses and cars and the event is fully risk assessed.

In order to partake in the event, all are advised to wear several layers of clothing, such as tracksuit bottoms, sports shorts, tee-shirt, sweatshirt, training shoes or boots and bring waterproof coats. Those attending are advised to bring packed lunches and drinks and are reminded this is a Nature Conservation area and a Site of Special Scientific Interest so all waste must be disposed of responsibly.

The proposed programme is outlined roughly as follows:

0900 – 0930 Reception (arrive, paperwork check and placed into groups)
0930 – 1000 Welcome & Safety Brief
1000 – 1100 Presentation
1100 – 1600 Stages (1 hour each)
(Weapons, Physical Leadership Tasks, Casualty Evacuation, Climbing Wall, Gym Activity)
1600 – 1615 Unarmed Combat Display
1615 – 1700 Debrief

Should you, your Sports Club, Society or college wish to attend this unique opportunity to Meet the Marines, they should contact their local AFCO (Manchester 0161 835 2923, Preston 01772 555675 or Liverpool 0151 707 3382) to book and reserve a place.

Note: This event may be cancelled at short notice due to operational Service reasons beyond our control.

Unarmed Combat Display:

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Would have liked to take my rugby team on this but they're all 13/14.

What's the reason for the minimum age of 15? Health and Safety I'd assume?

Tsar

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Would of loved to see this :( Do you think If I start to swim now I will make it :p

iLikeTurtles

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Would have liked to take my rugby team on this but they're all 13/14.

What's the reason for the minimum age of 15? Health and Safety I'd assume?

that or to inspire them so they sign up next year haha

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
They don't have anything like this for Officers do they?

Polo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's open to all, although you can take a picnic hamper, stable your horse and bring a butler, rather than a packed lunch if you like. Get your man to give your AFCO a yell if you are in the vicinity & want to go.
Are ponies acceptable or do they need to be horses? (Asking for a friend).

Polo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, I've just spoken to my AFCO and apparently there is a bunch of Potential Officers going.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There are still places available on all three days, so if you are interested, get in touch with your AFCO.

Wolfie.

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There are still places available on all three days, so if you are interested, get in touch with your AFCO.

Is there a minimum of people needed to book a place or can a singular person book a place?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Single individuals aged 18 and over are very welcome to attend. Those under 18 must get parental consent and be allocated to a careers adviser before attending.