meet the marines day...?

Marshall17

Reaction score
hi guys, just posting to ask if any one has recently been on one of the meet the marines days....if this is what it is..: its for one day in reading at sum base n the day involves things from 3 mile runs to group circuits to weapons familiarisation and unarmed combat, sounds pretty cool, i've just had my medical, passed that, had my psychometric test n interview etc n about to book my PJFT and basicly was interested to know if any one else is or has gone to a similar event, its sounds to me pretty much like a pre-prmc day, any reply wud be appreciated, cheers. :D

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya,

It sounds like your describing a Royal Marine's Acquaint Day (RMAD). I havent been on one. My AFCO sends wannabe marines on these as part of their application process we have to go through to Glasgow for this.

According to a recruiter at my AFCO since the Edinburgh office has started doing this there success rate if you *text deleted* call it that has improved alot.

If you do we well at the RMAD then they will let you go onto your PRMC if not they will advise you on the area's you need to improve on. Thats my understanding of it Im sure though our resident oracle Ninja_Stoker can elaborate :-D

Incidently I was wondering Ninja_Stoker does the AFCO your at run RMAD days? If not why not? Sorry that sounds harsh Im just curious is it a budget issue or perhaps there are no places close enough to run an RMAD.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to clarify "Royal Marines Acquaint Days" (RMAD) are as described by Phoenix. To the best of my knowledge they're all run at the nearest RMR unit to your AFCO, many AFCO's either provide rail tickets or transport for you to attend & AFCO staff are usually in attendance, I'm at one next Tuesday for instance. If you want to be a Royal Marine they are an absolutely excellent gauge as to whether you are sufficiently prepared.

"Meet the Marines" are showcases of Royal Marines capabilities, demonstrating unarmed combat, rapid-roping from helicopters, rigid raider (fast boat) displays, shooting, climbing, etc., etc, basically excellent PR & hugely entertaining. They are there to interest you in considering joining the Royal Marines, but you do not have to undertake any physical evaluation. They are extremely expensive to run & consequently are few & far between- if you get invited to one, top-tip is go along, you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Hope that helps.

J

Jamessly1989

I went on a 'Meet the marines' day about 1 year ago. Absoloutly loved it, as ninja said, good for PR and it showed all aspects of the Marines and you get to chat to some of the guys. You do a few activities and get taught a few things. Overall i thought the day was excellent!

James

danslark

Reaction score
i did one on the 6th of october its basically a mini prmc did quite a bit of phys stuff- three miler,max press-ups,chin ups,sit ups,did something, similar too gym test 2 aswell!!
then we had a couple of lectures,looked at loads of weapon sytems.it was a good insight into the prmc and gives you a heads up on what you need to improve on etc!!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
NOT to be confused with RM Acquaint Days [RMAD] (which involve YOU undergoing the Royal Marines Physical Fitness assessment), these are showcases conducted around the country to demonstrate the Royal Marines capabilities and give those interested the chance to speak with serving Royal Marines, as indicated above.

If ever you get the chance to attend one of these my advice is to go along, come hell or high-water as they don't happen very often due to cost, with regard manpower, assets (such as rigid raiders, helicopters, Viking vehicles, weapons, transportation) and the physical expense involved (accommodation, etc.,).

I've heard talk on the grapevine there may be some more in the offing- the advice is to get in touch with your AFCO, register an interest and ensure a first class chance to witness one of these very rare events which are often heavily over-subscribed by those with no intention of joining, but who enjoy the free spectacle.

Last one I attended was nothing short of excellent, the bigger the demand, the more likely one will happen in your area.