Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Merseyside PRMRC September 2018

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Jones86, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Alright guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone doing the Merseyside PRMRC this weekend (7,8,9 Sep)?

I only applied for the reserves end of July 2018 and got through the stages pretty quick but unfortunately haven't had medical in time to be on this years intake. Bit gutted that it could be potentially a whole year wait for the next intake but what can you do.

If there is anyone on the PRMRC that would like to do a report/diary of the weekend it would be awesome to hear about it as there is no recent information on here in regards to reserves prmrc's. Just a thought anyway.
    All the best for the weekend!! Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Warehouse125

Warehouse125 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    All right lad, sorry to hear about your medical. Silver lining: a whole year to become a phys ninja before 119 Tp.

I joined in late July as well, I went on the August PRMC just as a recce to be honest, failed because I'd only been training for two weeks, so will be attending this weekend, hoping to pass this time around.

CBA writing up the whole thing (although might get round to it) but if you have any specific questions, fire away.

3. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Alright pal. Thanks for the message. That's good you're giving it another crack this weekend. Now you know what to expect I'm sure you'll find some grit and and get the job done!
    Which AFCO did you apply through and which detachment you at? You've been lucky to get through the application process so quick, well done. I was really hoping to be on this years intake as I feel ready and I'll be 33 next August bit I've been told that won't matter if I'm already assigned to holding troop.
    Would love to hear any info on Swynnerton and PRMRC. Will be in touch mate. All the best for the weekend. Get it done!

4. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Have
    Have you thought about asking to tag on to other RMR Units PRMC e.g Plymouth, London, Bristol, Poole all have different times of year. You will obviously have to travel but Bristol do theirs at Lympstone.

5. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hiya mate, I had thought of that but not sure how it would work with ongoing training? I wouldn't be able to join those units for my training as it's just not doable.

6. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

Yoi dont need to attend the training if you are ready you can ask to be loaded on. Speak to your unit. Bristol used to have 2 a year Feb and November.

7. posh_punter

posh_punter Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah mate, a load of London ranks did their PRMC(R) with Bristol earlier in the year than the main London one.

8. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Thanks for that info lads. Much appreciated. So what you're saying I can partake on a PRMRC other than Merseyside and then go on to training with my local Birmingham detachment afterwards? I know Merseyside used to have two intakes a year but due to lack of numbers it's now only one.

9. posh_punter

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah, or you could try and get on a regular one too, if you can't make the PRMC(R). Loads of options.

10. Jones86

Jones86 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I had no idea that this could be done and my AFCO hasn't advised me on anything like this. I'll be sure to be making some phone calls today. Thanks for the info gents!

11. posh_punter

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Don't ask the AFCO, you need to speak to the cSGT at your unit and they can sort it.

12. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

@Ninja_Stoker are you aware of this happening before? I was of the understanding that RT needed to have commenced by an applicants 33rd birthday, but the above indicates that this may not be the case if the applicant has already attested and has joined Holding Troop?

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

No, can only assume the CO has granted an age waiver (rarely seen). The rules state RMR or RM Recruit Troop must commence on or before your 33rd birthday, so far as I'm aware. Your AFCO can clarify.

14. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Many thanks. I did not appreciate an age waiver could be grated by the CO at a local level. I had assumed that this would need to be done via the AFCO.
    For applicants in a similar situation, would it therefore be advisable to contact the RMR unit in question, and request a waiver via the CO?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The unit OC can state to the AFCO that he considers an exceptional applicant is suitable and the AFCO can apply for a waiver, but under normal circumstances, unless there are extenuating circumstances, the AFCO would not routinely consider submitting a waiver for a person who simply left it too late to apply without good reason.

I've not seen one granted in recent years.

The guidance for this is BR3, Section 4, Chapter 7, article 0722: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...s/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-07.pdf

16. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Many thanks; more than helpful.
    I’ll contact my unit to determine their appetite for it.
    I applied in good time, but was held up for some time (a long time) at medical stage, then unfortunately had to defer PRMC(R) due to work commitments. My employment situation has now changed (new job) and no longer presents a barrier. The issue is that I will be 33 in April, which means that I’m over the age threshold for PRMC(R) in/around September.
    Medical etc. still in date.

17. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

@CHUB! For clarity, are you saying that an applicant may attend a Regular PRMC, pass, and use this pass to satisfy the PRMC(R) requirement?
    I believe I am in a similar situation to the original poster (33 by the time RMR Merseyside commence Recruit Training in circa October 2019). Currently/desperately trying to explore options of making this work.
    Any information/guidance you can provide would be greatfully received.
    Many thanks

18. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

@posh_punter Are you aware of this (or similar) happening at your unit?

19. CHUB!

CHUB! Careers Adviser

A regular PRMC can be used for a Reserve unit but has a validity of 12 months. If you have passed a Reserve PRMC it cannot count if you then decide to go regular. Hope that is clear?

20. SDG1986

SDG1986 Member

Crystal clear, thank you.
    I was wondering, if I got loaded on to a regular PRMC, and passed, at age 32, would this pass be eligible to commence RMR recruit training at age 33?
    My dilemma is that I’m 33 in April and RMR Merseyside Recruit Training will not commence until October 2019, putting me over the age threshold by approx 6 months.
    I’ve read (above), that as long as I am assigned to a Holding Troop, at age 32, it doesn’t matter. But I’ve also read that I need to have specifically commenced Recruit Training prior to my 33rd birthday. As such, I’m somewhat confused.