Might not be able to join - advice anyone?

OriginalHobo

Reaction score
Alright lads,

I think I knew it was coming, but I went to a dermatologist yesterday and they confirmed it. I have a kind of dermatitis called 'discoid eczema'. He's prescribed given me a steroid cream and has said it should clear up within two weeks give or take.

I was absolutely gutted when he told me, felt like I was going to either scream or cry, it was the worst possible diagnosis in terms of joining the armed forces.
I'm 21 now, my phys stats are decent and I was planning to apply at the end of summer but I'll now have to wait at least 3 years before applying because of the rules on skin disorders. Even then, I feel like nothing is for certain.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or know anyone that has?
I'd very much appreciate any advice anyone has.

Cheers all

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Having seen the effects of webbing burns on guy's skin, which is greatly exacerbated by eczema, I can, to some extent, understand the reluctance of the MOD to process applicants with this problem until it has properly cleared up.

Bad news on your part!

Alan

OriginalHobo

Reaction score
In fairness, I can understand the reasoning behind it and it all makes sense to me. It's just frustrating being part of it, as you can probably imagine.

OriginalHobo

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker Don't suppose there's anything you could add other than what's already been said by the lads here or have any anecdotal advice?
I don't want to be a nuisance but I really unsure of where to go from here.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Unforunately applicants must be at least two years clear of prescribed medication and free from eczema before eligible to join the Armed Forces.

The advice is to use the prescribed medication to get rid, then manage it with "over the counter" rather than precribed medication. Anyone attending their medical with any eczema that is visible.cannot be passed fit for entry, sadly.

OriginalHobo

Reaction score
Has it changed from 3 years free of a skin disorder to only 2 years? Or am I misremembering?

New Threads