Mild Tricuspid Regurgitation/Leaky Valve

LiamJC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So I was made TMU on 11th September for my heart "sounding funny". Since then I have been for an ecg and echocardiogram and I went to my GP today to discuss the results and she said I have a "Leaky valve". The proper name for it is the one in the thread title.

She said that it is only mild and even her son has one and she doesnt think it will be a problem for me so she is sending the results to the Navy so I can go for a second medical.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if this will be a problem at my 2nd medical. It is the only outstanding problem which I am TMU for and I was hoping what I have done is enough to get a pass on 2nd medical.

@Andy32 hopefully you could give me an idea of what to expect if you have a minute?

Thanks

LiamJC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, just to re-iterate I'm not a medical expert and as such can only punt a guess, at best. Definitive advice, as we're all aware, can only be given by the Medical Examiner against the strict entry criteria.

I sincerely hope things go the way you would wish, but at the same time it's important to manage realistic expectations and it would be wrong to give rise to false hope. If I'm completely honest, I think it could go either way.

My reason for saying this is whilst the condition may not necessarily preclude the individual leading a completely normal civilian lifestyle without restriction, the extreme rigours of life in what is regarded by many as a military elite, may well be considered a risk too far for a person with a heart condition, albeit considered mild under normal circumstances, as encountered in day to day life.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong in my reservations & would be delighted to hear of a positive outcome however, in any event, the advice is to simply be cautious until you hear otherwise.

Best of luck.

LiamJC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Again, just to re-iterate I'm not a medical expert and as such can only punt a guess, at best. Definitive advice, as we're all aware, can only be given by the Medical Examiner against the strict entry criteria.

I sincerely hope things go the way you would wish, but at the same time it's important to manage realistic expectations and it would be wrong to give rise to false hope. If I'm completely honest, I think it could go either way.

My reason for saying this is whilst the condition may not necessarily preclude the individual leading a completely normal civilian lifestyle without restriction, the extreme rigours of life in what is regarded by many as a military elite, may well be considered a risk too far for a person with a heart condition, albeit considered mild under normal circumstances, as encountered in day to day life.

Hopefully I'm completely wrong in my reservations & would be delighted to hear of a positive outcome however, in any event, the advice is to simply be cautious until you hear otherwise.

Best of luck.

I was thinking it could go either way myself from what the doctor made out but as you said, there is a chance the worst could happen due to the rigorous lifestyle being compared to a regular civvy lifestyle.

Either way, appreciate the reply and can only hope for the best and see what happens.

prij90

Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same situation there mate!
Been TMU since June with a mild leaky valve. I know the frustration of not knowing what's going to happen. Good luck buddy

LiamJC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in exactly the same situation there mate!
Been TMU since June with a mild leaky valve. I know the frustration of not knowing what's going to happen. Good luck buddy

Its a pain in the a*text deleted* isnt it mate. Hopefully I wont have much longer to wait until I find out what the outcome is. Best of luck with yours too