Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Mileage running

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by dewalt2001, Oct 30, 2018.

1. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi had 4 weeks off running as had a niggle in my knee that didn’t go away after really pushing myself on a bft practice, going out later for my first run again the advice on here is to gradually build up your miles to avoid injury is 3 miles too much to start with? And I want to be running 4 times a week is this ok or should I build that up start say 2 times or once? And does speed matter here? Sorry for all questions just want to be cautious to avoid injury’s

2. thefellsman

thefellsman New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    The key here is to differentiate soreness from pain. Being sore (not excessively) is normal and bound to happen during a training program. However, pain is something than should not be occurring.

In terms of your question regarding if 3 miles is too much: this completely depends on how you are feeling. If your knee is painful during or after then yes it's too much and you aren't ready for that volume yet.

The general rule of thumb is that the more volume you can do the better (without getting hurt) that could mean 5 mile a week or 100 miles, it depends on the individual.

If I was in your position I would incorporate cross training while the knee heals. Swimming, rowing and biking are all fantastic replacements, as well as a 'running S&C program' (google it) too help strengthen weak hips/core/feet which are likely to have caused your knee pain.

Once your knee is back in good working order be tame with increased mileage. Even if that means only adding a couple miles a week.

Patience is a learned skill, embrace it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Ok mate thanks for that just done a bft was a disappointment first half 12 mins return 10.35, on the plus side no pain at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

You shouldn’t be putting in max efforts after injury for 3/4 weeks. Build from 50 % effort and add 10% each week.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted

Ok would that mean still doing a hill sprint session or giving it a miss for a few weeks?

6. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Give it a miss. Stay away from max efforts.

7. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Ok thanks will just jog for a few weeks see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
  8. kilofoxtrot

kilofoxtrot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Smash some swimming if you’re itching to exercise a bit more, it’s non impact so shouldn’t affect your knee.