Military / War books.

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
I do a lot of reading because I have no life. Basis of the thread is simple: Post up any books with a military theme, whether they're fiction/non-fiction and a brief synopsis. Might encourage others to pick them up and/or check them out.

I've currently got 2 on the go:

Dispatches by Michael Herr
(Non-fiction)
Rolling stones reporter goes on a bit of a mad-one as a war correspondent during the Vietnam War. Ends up getting dragged into all sorts with Green Berets, Ranger Btns and Marines during his extended time over there. Reads a lot like Jac Kerouac and a lot of books from the beat generation.

Hands down one of the most visceral and 'real' books I've ever read that manages to capture the madness, violence and reality of combat. Those that have served will chime with a lot of what is written; the similarities between fighting the Viet Cong and Taliban are striking!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4339.Dispatches

A kinder, Gentler Military by Stephanie Gutmann
(Non-Fiction)
Anti-feminist Stephanie Gutmann writes about the issues facing the US military's gender integration into tooth arms (USMC). Don't let the title fool you - she pulls no punches and, again, the similarities to a lot of feelings expressed on this forum are laid out in a painfully depressing dismantling of the idea that somehow it is benefitting the US military. Even more shocking is that it was written in 2001!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1400195.The_Kinder_Gentler_Military?from_search=true

I do a lot of reading because I have no life. Basis of the thread is simple: Post up any books with a military theme, whether they're fiction/non-fiction and a brief synopsis. Might encourage others to pick them up and/or check them out.

I've currently got 2 on the go:

Dispatches by Michael Herr
(Non-fiction)
Rolling stones reporter goes on a bit of a mad-one as a war correspondent during the Vietnam War. Ends up getting dragged into all sorts with Green Berets, Ranger Btns and Marines during his extended time over there. Reads a lot like Jac Kerouac and a lot of books from the beat generation.

Hands down one of the most visceral and 'real' books I've ever read that manages to capture the madness, violence and reality of combat. Those that have served will chime with a lot of what is written; the similarities between fighting the Viet Cong and Taliban are striking!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4339.Dispatches

A kinder, Gentler Military by Stephanie Gutmann
(Non-Fiction)
Anti-feminist Stephanie Gutmann writes about the issues facing the US military's gender integration into tooth arms (USMC). Don't let the title fool you - she pulls no punches and, again, the similarities to a lot of feelings expressed on this forum are laid out in a painfully depressing dismantling of the idea that somehow it is benefitting the US military. Even more shocking is that it was written in 2001!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1400195.The_Kinder_Gentler_Military?from_search=true
Excellent, thanks for that. Great idea.

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Devils Guard - by George Robert Elford published in 1971, is the story of a former German Waffen-SS officer's string of near-constant combat that begins on World War II's eastern front and continues into the book's focus—the First Indochina War, as an officer in the French Foreign Legion.

Just started ‘The Quiet Soldier’ about an SAS reservist which I’m finding quite a decent read so far. Based on true story how the author went through selection while juggling his civvy job/life.

‘Going Commando’ and ‘Going All The Way’ by Mark Time. Following his journey from civvy street and right the way through RT in his quest for CGB. ‘Going All The Way’ basically follows him through unit life, taking off right where the first book finished. Must read for anyone looking to join RM. Both books are thoroughly entertaining, funny but also follow his personal struggles... there’s a third book too but I’m yet to read it.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dead Men Risen: Welsh Guards in Afghanistan

Out of the Mountains by Jack Kilcullen- this is particularly useful for anyone interested in how warfare will play out in the 21st century

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3 PARA and GROUND TRUTH

I would reccomend anything on the Rhodesian bush war like Green Leader or another I've got cannot recall the name

Abducting a General is about the SOE in Crete in ww2

The Violence of the Image is about combat and war photography, academic though

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Would also reccomend "The things they carried", short stories on the Vietnam war
I am also reading one called HELMAND which is diaries of a 2lt in the RM who died on Op Herrick and also other marines

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Going Commando, Going around the bend and Going all the way by Mark Time are brilliant reads. Had me in stitches all the way through.

For those that haven’t read them it’s about the authors experiences in training all the way up to signing off.

Edit: i now realise someone’s already posted about them but they’re brilliant none the less.

Rover

Reaction score
Regarding predominantly books on the Royal Marines.

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/a-list-of-rm-books-and-a-few-others.92501/

I would draw your attention to the following,

"No doubt there are other publications that people know; as such I would ask that only the title and authors name be added to this list. Repetitive explanations and ‘likes’ will only distract from the aim of this post. Which is just to give a quick reference point without the need to trawl through reams of needless post."

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Nazi Hunters (Damien Lewis)
-non fiction about SAS Op Loyton

Too Few Too Far (Malcom Angel)
-non fiction about RM on South Georgia under Argentine attack

ale623

Reaction score
Rain by Barney Campbell (novel based on actual events).
A British Army Officer's experience in Afghanistan.

SAS: Rogue Heroes - The Authorized Wartime History by Ben MacIntyre.
How the SAS was created, first operations in North Africa and then on to Italy and France during the Second World War.

pacessdo

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The Longest Kill
The Story of Maverick 41, One of the World's Greatest Snipers
Craig Harrison

It takes a tough mindset to be a successful sniper, to be able to dig in for days on your own as you wait for your target, to stay calm on a battlefield when you yourself have become the target the enemy most want to take out. Craig Harrison has what it takes and in November 2009 in Afghanistan, under intense pressure, he saved the lives of his comrades with the longest confirmed sniper kill - 2,475 metres, the length of 25 football pitches.

In this unflinching autobiography Craig catapults us into the heat of the action as he describes his active service in the Balkans, Iraq and Afghanistan, and gives heart-stopping accounts of his sniper ops as he fought for his life on the rooftops of Basra and the barren hills of Helmand province. Craig was blown up by an IED in Afghanistan and left battling severe PTSD. After his identity was revealed in the press he also had to cope with Al Qaeda threats against him and his family. For Craig, the price of heroism has been devastatingly high.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Chickenhawk:
Robert Mason's narrative of his experiences as a "Huey" UH-1 Iroquois helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War. The book chronicles his enlistment, flight training, deployment to and experiences in Vietnam, and his experiences after returning from the war.

Its a great no holds barred account of his time as a Huey pilot, makes you really appreciate that war and the horror of it, and the heroism of the pilots, one of those books I've been re-reading for years and still don't get bored.

Commando:
Chris Terril's book and memoir from the filming of Commando on the front line, goes into alot more detail than the series on some aspects, and goes over some parts not included at all in the series, worth a read.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Don't be put off just because it's on the reading list for Harvard MBA wonks. And no need to actually buy the small book because text and interpretation available here for free:

https://suntzusaid.com/

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Personal reflections and nuggets of campaigning advice for anyone considering nation building and the ruthless domination of the civilised world.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

One of the best books I've ever read. It's an account of a German soldiers time on the Eastern front during WW2.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Shadows of a Forgotten Past: TO THE EDGE with the Rhodesian SAS and Selous Scouts

Basically, young bloke joins 21 SAS, spends a few years doing fun TA sf jollys, gets bored and moves to Rhodesia at the height of the bush war, and decides to enlist in the Rhodesian SAS and later transfers to the Selous Scouts. Awesome read of a crazy war

Chelonian

Reaction score
A couple of popular fiction titles from back in the day:

Legion of the Damned by Sven Hassel
Hassel had an interesting life and his military novels might reflect his experiences. Described by some as "controversial":
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/o...ron-cross-and-wrote-best-sellers-8317043.html

Stormtroop Edelweiss by Leo Kessler
The book's blurb:
"Hitler’s orders were clear: prove to the entire world the might of the unstoppable Fatherland by conquering the peak of Mount Elbrus piercing the sky between German and Russian lines. It would be a near impossible task: the route was blocked by hostile tribesmen and Stalin’s female commandos, the Red Ravens. Only one unit in the German army could pull of such a daring task, only one unit with the necessary combination of reckless courage and matchless skills: Stormtroop Edelweiss."

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just started reading Fishers of Men

Tells a true story of a FRU ( now DHU) agent in Northern Island.

New Threads