Milk? yay or nay?

S

stokey_14

I?ve not drunk lots of milk for a good few years now, I used to drink multiple (4-5) pints a day in high school. Taste wise I like it, however when I dropped it I saw a wide range of improvements.

Less spots
better gut health and passing of waste
visibly leaner and less bloated
produced less mucus / chesty rubbish when ill

Now I?m sure many of you as I did love milk, some of you probably handle it a lot better than me also however I think this article makes for an interesting read:

http://thepaleodiet.com/archives/3816

I?m not saying drop milk if it suits you but it?s food for thought and I believe a lot of folks would be better of cutting down/ out on milk intake. Or at very least avoiding store brought milk.

It?s for you to decided but I?ll be leaving the milk drinking to the baby?s (Arnolds words not mine)

Stokey

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Less spots
better gut health and passing of waste
visibly leaner and less bloated
produced less mucus / chesty rubbish when ill
I had a quick read through the article and although it does make sense with the whole paleo thing, most people in the Western world don't eat a great diet, and milk provides them with certain things (protein, calcium, etc.) that they may be lacking.

I personally have about 2 pints of milk a day, and although I get more spots on my back, that's probably due to the increase in exercise with a sweaty t-shirt on my back for 1-2 hours.
Although I have fixed my diet in many other ways, since drinking this amount of milk everyday my gut health and passing of waste has significantly improved, I still get the odd bad day, but nothing like I used to get.
I'm also leaner than I used to be, but that also is probably due to my shift to an increase in exercise and the addition of heavy compound lifts to my fitness regime. I am trying to get slightly leaner so it may be that dropping the milk will do this.
As for mucus etc., I can't actually remember the last time I was ill *touches wood* so I can't comment.

Baron

Reaction score
MILK! <3 <3 <3

I love the stuff. Go through at least 2 liters a day usually. Of course if you drink a lot of it you're going to put weight on... It's high calorie, high fat and high carb. However, for me it's a staple part of my diet when I'm looking to put muscle on; I tend to react well to it and pack muscle on without much fat gain at all.

Like you said though, if I'm looking to cut weight/fat, then I wouldn't personally drink it.

S

stokey_14

I had a quick read through the article and although it does make sense with the whole paleo thing, most people in the Western world don't eat a great diet, and milk provides them with certain things (protein, calcium, etc.) that they may be lacking.

As said in the article, calcium wise it probably gives you to much compared to other healthier sources. Causing problems with absorption of other important minerals.

I agree if you have a poor diet milk?s probably better than nothing but for those who have a good diet or want to improve there diet at very least limiting milk intake seems wise to me?

Stokey

Baron

Reaction score
The thing that annoys me with these types of articles is that you can find faults etc. with pretty much any kind of food/drink.

In my book, if you enjoy it, eat/drink it.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I love milk. Normally drink about a pint a day, couldn't be without it.

S

stokey_14

The thing that annoys me with these types of articles is that you can find faults etc. with pretty much any kind of food/drink.

In my book, if you enjoy it, eat/drink it.

True however as I say from personal experience dropping milk is a good thing health wise. I understand it?s tasty but so it beer, curry and mars bars ? yet I wouldn?t suggest you ingest these daily if performance and health are two goals of yours .

If I ate all the foods I like or want I?d be worse off , for me it?s about making intelligent food choices based on the information out there and personal trial and error.

Once again I?m neither for or against milk drinking, just think it?s worth consideration.

Stokey

Baron

Reaction score
True however as I say from personal experience dropping milk is a good thing health wise. I understand it?s tasty but so it beer, curry and mars bars ? yet I wouldn?t suggest you ingest these daily if performance and health are two goals of yours .

If I ate all the foods I like or want I?d be worse off , for me it?s about making intelligent food choices based on the information out there and personal trial and error.

Once again I?m neither for or against milk drinking, just think it?s worth consideration.

Stokey
That argument doesn't really make any sense at all. Comparing milk to beer, curry and mars bars?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I consume cow's milk only in coffee. Cow's milk is intended for a calf, not so much for a human and our digestive system is not made for it.

Soya milk however, I love and use in shakes. Almond milk, rice milk, soya milk, all good alternatives to cow's milk.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Stokey
It doesn't hinder performance. Milk is useful when bulking.

Also, the SEAL's nutritionist recommends 1000mg calcium per day (3 glasses of milk), when running a lot. Apparently, it helps a lot to prevent stress fractures.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Don't drink milk, never have. Use whitener for coffee and water for shakes. I forced myself to drink it years ago and my body doesn't agree with it at all. Became bloated, sluggish, spotty and incredible gut ache.

Maybe I'm lactose intolerant?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
These days I only drink it for protein and calcium, so usually stick it in post-workout shakes if I have it at all. Probably drink 400-500ml a day, SKIMMED, to cut down on fat.

2 interesting points though: it spikes insulin if you drink 500ml+ in one go, so even if it's skimmed you're going to end up storing fat (it's full of sugar), and also for some reason quite a lot of Men's Health/Fitness-type magazines recommend drinking Full Fat milk when dieting for some reason.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of the men's health diets are very low carb so increase fat intakes via full fat milk etc to keep energy levels up.

jungle-man

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty widely held in the sporting world that milk is one of the best foodstuffs for recovery. Marlon Devonish (Olympic sprinter) drinks milk every day as part of his recovery routine. So does Mikko Salo (elite CrossFitter).

I saw a something on TV in February where they made a rugby team do interval squat jumps for about 20 mins, so their quads were all stuffed for the next few days. Half the team were told to drink whole milk throughout the coming days, the other half not to. The perceived soreness in the guys that drank milk invariably disappeared faster than those that didn't. They explained that it's due to milk's high protein/fat/carbohydrate combination, and that it's effective both immediately after exercise and for long-term recovery.

If milk doesn't jibe with your digestion, or you're prone to acne, then you might want to steer clear or it. Otherwise, it's a great choice for post-training recovery.

S

stokey_14

That argument doesn't really make any sense at all. Comparing milk to beer, curry and mars bars?
Not a comparison no. Though drinking multiple litres a day is probably putting more sugar, pesticides, un-wanted hormones and toxins into you than a curry a night would.

I was taking my point to the extreme. You said if you like the food then in your book that?s a good reason to eat it. My point is as an athletes that?s not a good philosophy to live by I like all of those 3 foods/drinks but they aren?t going to help my training...

Also for people who can tolerate milk, no it wont hinder performance but is it optimal? I?m not sure. As I?ve said through out I?m not for or against milk.

Calcium/ Protein / fat can be got from much better places in my book?

Out of all the foods it?s the one most people are intolerant of (to what ever degree) it?s also packed with sugar, chemicals and things I personally wish to avoid as much as possible.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit fat doesn?t make you fat (talking sensible amounts), in fact a healthy intake will make you lose/burn fat more efficient.

Stokey

S

stokey_14

I saw a something on TV in February where they made a rugby team do interval squat jumps for about 20 mins, so their quads were all stuffed for the next few days. Half the team were told to drink whole milk throughout the coming days, the other half not to. The perceived soreness in the guys that drank milk invariably disappeared faster than those that didn't. They explained that it's due to milk's high protein/fat/carbohydrate combination, and that it's effective both immediately after exercise and for long-term recovery.

I saw this program. What that proved in a very un-scientific way was athletes who took on lots of protein (via milk) post workout recovered better than those drinking purely carbs. Shock horror.

Would have been interesting to have A) done some scientific testing rather than a vague questioning B) had someone take on a recovery shake consisting of a fast acting Protein like Whey and the carbs/ electrolytes from the sports drink and then see what came out on top.

So Yes Milk is better than a isotonic drink or nothing. More protein will help recovery. But again, is it a optimal source?

Stokey

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I like milk. It certainly hits the spot after a long slog or a big weights session. However, I am aware of it's breakdown, which doesn't lend itself to carb back-loading too well, at any time of day. Therefore, I limit it when trying to cut.

Something to note VTom is that Soya milk contains high levels of oestrogen. This inhibits testosterone which therefore encourages fat storage and makes it very hard to gain muscle. Not ideal really...

I personally use coconut milk, watered down to a normal consistency. However, thats only very occasionally these days. Milk or it's substitutes are not something I use too often since advancing my training to the next stage.

EDIT: Also of note, all of our milk is pasteurised. This removes huge swathes of nutrients and the stuff thats left is horribly degenerated by the heat process. In chemical terms all the molecules are there, just disfigured, making it damn near impossible for the body to use the protein for anything vaguely useful. Hormones in the milk (as found in Soya milk, but far more complex) are an issue. They can play havoc with the body in tiny ways that when the body tries to compensate for, overcompensates repeatedly one way and then the other, making tiny issues, huge great problems. The body struggles to maintain it's homeostasis causing an inefficient environment for the body to both perform and recover.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of the men's health diets are very low carb so increase fat intakes via full fat milk etc to keep energy levels up.
True, it's definitely a good source in that case!

Presumably more than one of you have been on a longer run and all of a sudden had a desperate need to poo, often find yourself running like John Wayne to hold it all in? This is supposedly due to a lack of milk/dairy in the diet, only some people get it but running enhances something to do with it and you get runner's trots. Men's Running did a feature on it - bovine something - and I must admit, drinking 400-500ml a day keeps the runner's nightmare away :weird:

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its like anything else, its good for you in moderation. beef is full of protein but if you ate 4 steaks a day you'd suffer. I think 5 pints of it a day is overdoing it, it has its benefits, but the key to being healthy is a balanced diet, and overdoing anything isnt healthy